One

I walked back into the girls locker room after the very first practice of my freshman year. I exhaled and wiped some stray, sweaty hair away from my eyes as I made my way to my locker. The locker room was quite and as I looked down the rows I could see the P.E. teachers office and even though the shades were down I could tell there was a light on.

I got to my locker and set down my helmet on the cement ledge next to the lockers. I leaned my head against my locker and closed my eyes. I couldn't hold it in anymore and tears started to run down my cheeks. I turned around and sat down on the cement ledge, leaning back to rest my head against the lockers and closed my eyes.

My mind went straight to the one memory that I always think about when I'm struggling or need to calm my nerves.

"C'mon dad please? Just one more!" I ran to pick up the football and then turned to face him.

"I don't know, Maya. I'm tired and it's getting late."

"Please please please?" I groaned and tried giving him my best pouty/begging face.

A smile spread across his face, it always worked.

"Fine, fine. One more good one, it has to be good though."

"Yes, I promise!" I exclaimed and I ran about 20 yards away from him. I squatted down in a little stance like I was under center and put the ball out in front of me.

"Blue, 84, set, hut!" I yelled and took three steps back, the football placed up by my ear. I took two steps forward and threw the ball about 25 yards, hitting my dad's hands right at his chest.

"Touchdown!!" He yelled and threw his hands up in the air like the refs do when you score. He smiled and I ran towards him.

He patted me on the head and smiled at me.

"Good job kiddo. That was a nice pass. You ready to head home now?"

"Yeah, thanks dad for playing catch with me today."

"Of course! It's my favorite thing to do. Besides, we gotta getcha ready now so you can play against the big boys one day." He winked at me.

I opened my eyes and wiped the tears away, a smile spread across my face. No matter what kind of mood I was in, I always knew that would make me feel better. My dad had been gone about 4 years now and he had always wanted me to be in the same position I was in today, trying out for the varsity football team.

I stood up from the ledge and opened up my locker. Today was hard, but I was going to do this.