Sixteen

The next thing I remember is waking up on the trainer's table on the sideline. I sprang up from laying down and begin frantically searching for my helmet.

"Woah, woah, woah. What do you think you're doing?" Kris, the trainer asked when he turned around and found me sitting up.

"Kris, I have to get back in there!" I yelled.

"Calm down, you're ok. Your backup's in and all you need to focus on right now is how you're feeling. Now lay back down."

My head began to throb and everything around me begin to spin a little.

"Maya? C'mon, lay back down." Kris was always so calm and to the point. I knew he could tell I was struggling but his calmness definitely helped me a little.

I began to relax and I let him lead me back to laying down on the table.

"You got a concussion," he explained, waving a light back over my eyes. "Does the noise hurt?"

I suddenly realized where I was again. Even though I had wanted to go back in the game, I really had no idea where I was or what I was supposed to be doing. I began to hear the sweet sounds of football again and slowly nodded, secretly freaking out that I couldn't really remember much. The noise was causing a small pain in my head but nothing too severe, I just felt dizzy.

"Ok, just sit tight here for a few minutes, I'm going to go get the cart so I can take you back to the training room," he then quickly ran off.

I sat up, the pain didn't feel so bad when I sat up. Maybe if I stood up, I would be fine. I slowly slid off the table and as soon as my feet hit the grass I felt a little better. A little concussion wasn't going to keep me away from getting back in the game. I quickly located my helmet and ran to find coach through the crowd of players on the sideline.

"Coach," I said as soon as I approached him.

"Callahan! You good?" He asked, his face lightening up a little.

"Yep, I'm fine. Just got the wind knocked out of me."

"Kris said you're good then?"

My mind shot back to Kris, probably still trying to find the cart. I felt bad for not listening to him because I always knew he had the best intentions but I needed to be out there for my team. I nodded slightly to answer coach's question.

"Perfect, we're on offense after this punt so get ready to go back out there."

+

a u t h o r ' s n o t e
hey everyone! i just wanted to write you guys a quick little author's note to say that i am super excited for almost 400 reads! when i first published i just expected maybe 20 or so but 400!! wow! anyways thank you all for the support, i love writing so knowing that so many people are enjoying what i write makes me incredibly happy and thankful! please do not forget to VOTE, thank you all!

-morgan ( :