Chapter 1

Eric-

She lands with a slight plop, and squeaks as the net tightends and adjusts to her weight. She is small and pale, and frail looking. Though excitement burns in her eyes. Curiosity burns in my stomach. What is she? This girl with tangled golden hair, and eyes lit with bright fire. Frail or strong? Selfless or brave? My Erudite engineered brain calculates what is what, who is who. I am interupted by my thoughts as Four lifts her like she weighs nothing. Four is another mystery. One that I hope to destroy, rather than discover. The girl lands with a slight groan, recovering quickly on her feet. Four asks her a question I don't hear.

But I hear her smile as she says, "Tris." Her pinned back hair is frizzled out, and sticks up in random places. Her smile glows bright in the dim light. As she and the rest of the Dauntless initiates file out of the plat form, I turn and follow the dark hallway to the cafeteria.

I walk in, and it is quiet enough that I can hear my footsteps. I know I look menacing. My cold eyes as they sweep across the room.

"Who's that?" hisses an olive skinned girl next to Tris.

"His name is Eric," says Four. "He's a Dauntless leader."

"Seriously? But he's so young."

Four gives her a grave look. "Age doesn't matter here."

My eyes stop scanning the room, landing on Four. I start toward their table and drop into the seat next to him. He offers no greeting, neither do Tris and her friend.

"Well, aren't you going to introduce me?" I ask smugly, nodding to the girls.

Four says, "This is Tris and Christina."

"Ooh, a Stiff," I say smirk, winking. I feel my piercings pull my lips, and she winces. "We'll see how long you last." I mean to say something almost sweet. Coward. She glances at me, holding her tongue. She glances at the floor, almost guilty. I direct my harsh gaze to Four.

I tap my fingers against the table. My knuckles are scabbed over, right where they would split if I punched something too hard.

"What have you been doing lately, Four?" I ask.

Four lifts a shoulder. "Nothing, really," he says.

Tris's eyes flick between mine and Four's. Confused, calculating. But the way Four sits, tense as pulled wire. Rivals.

"Max tells me he keeps trying to meet with you, and you don't show up," I hold back a scowl. "He requested that I find out what's going on with you."

Four looks at me for a few seconds before saying, "Tell him that I am satisfied with the position I currently hold."

"So he wants to give you a job." My rings brighten as I tilt my head forward. I try to hide my jealousy.

"So it would seem," Four says.

"And you aren't interested."

"I haven't been interested for two years."

"Well," I say. "Let's hope he gets the message, then." I clap Four on the shoulder, a little too hard, and get up.

I turn, grimacing. My jaw tightens in jealousy and hate. Then I think of the girls soft eyes, her gentle lips and smooth nose. Tris. I think of how the years will harden her, give her strength she has never felt before, never grasped. Possibly just out of reach. I frown, the question still in my head. Why did she choose Dauntless?

_____________________________

Heyo, guys! This is the new Divergent Eric and Tris book! Hope you enjoy, Don't think I'll continue the other book though! So sorry, but my family and friends know my plan and all agree. So the odds are uneven. :D Please vote and comment on what you want next, like a story or an idea! Thanks!!

~Silver