Chapter 4

Eric-

Jeanine tells me a shipment of an adjusted serum will be coming along with upgraded weapons. Mean while, I am in charge of a special activity tonight. Capture the Flag.

I arrive in the initiates dorms around 5:33. Snoring lightly in the corner is the girl, Tris. I feel a twitch of regret. I flip on the flashlights, and the initiates quickly sit up as I start yelling.

"Everybody up!" I roar as other Dauntless file in after me.

Tris quickly sits up, and gazes around the room quickly. Her eyes land on Four, and rage fills my finger tips.

"Did you go deaf, Stiff?" I demand.

She blinks at me. Realizes her mistake and quickly gets up. Her friend Christina glares at me deadly.

"You have five minutes to get dressed, and meet us by the tracks." I command. "We're going on another field trip."

We leave the room, heading over to the tracks. There is a box of paintballs and a stack of guns. "Everybody grab a gun!" I shout.

"Time estimate?" I growl, looking to Four, as we reach the tracks.

Four checks his watch. "Any minute now. How long is it going to take you to memorize the train schedule?"

"Why should I, when I have you to remind me of it?" I say, shoving Four's shoulder.

A circle of light appears on my left, far away. It grows larger as it comes closer, shining against the side of the tracks. The train comes into view and Four is the first to get on the train, and Tris runs after him, not waiting for anyone to follow. Four turns around as she falls into stride next to the car and he holds out a hand.

Something like jealously fills my veins, and I clench my teeth.

Four speaks up. "We'll be dividing into two teams to play capture the flag. Each team will have an even mix of members, Dauntless-born initiates, and transfers. One team will get off first and find a place to hide their flag. Then the second team will get off and do the same." The car sways, and Four grabs the side of the doorway for balance. "This is a Dauntless tradition, so I suggest you take it seriously."

"What do we get if we win?" someone shouts.

"Sounds like the kind of question someone not from Dauntless would ask," says Four, raising an eyebrow. "You get to win, of course."

"Four and I will be your team captains," I shout. I glance at Four. "Let's divide up transfers first, shall we?"

"You go first," Four says.

I shrug carelessly. "Edward."

Four leans against the door frame and nods. The moonlight makes his eyes bright. He scans the group of transfer initiates briefly, without calculation, and says, "I want the Stiff."

A faint undercurrent of laughter fills the car. Tris has a look of anger, confusion, and embarrassment.

"Got something to prove?" I ask, with a smirk. "Or are you just picking the weak ones so that if you lose, you'll have someone to blame it on?"

Not even I would have chosen the Stiff.

Four shrugs. "Something like that."

She scowls at her hands.

"Your turn," says Four.

"Peter."

"Christina."

"Molly."

"Will," says Four, biting his thumbnail.

"Al."

"Drew."

"Last one left is Myra. So she's with me," I command. "Dauntless-born initiates next." We finish picking teams, and I smirk at Four in disbelief.

"Your team can get off second," I offer.

"Don't do me any favors," Four replies. He smiles a little.

"You know I don't need them to win."

"No, I know that you'll lose no matter when you get off," I say, biting down briefly on one of the rings in my lip.

"Take your scrawny team and get off first, then." I say gruffly.

They all stand up, and file out. One of my Dauntless-born initiates stands and confronts me. "Where are we getting off?" Uriah asks.

"Near the marsh, there will be cover."

"Where are we hiding the flag?" Others say, joining us in the discussion.

"That is for you to decide." I say slightly annoyed.

When we arrive at the our stop, everyone lines up at the gate. Jumping out with caterwauling wails. Someone falls, and when I jump out, I land next to them.

"Get up." I growl. "We've got 10 minutes to decide where the flag goes, and strategies on how to get theirs."

They all stare blankly at me. I get a bad feeling. This will be a long night.