Chapter 2

Eric-

I meet Max, Dauntless's main leader, in his office, around 3:05. He glances up from his papers. He smiles warmly as I take a seat.

He looks hopeful. "Four?"

I scowl at the floor briefly, "No."

"Pity. Oh well. One can hope can't they?"

His office is black, like most Dauntless rooms, with the words FEAR painted in red. As if to remind him of the fear he overcame. What's his fear? Spiders? Darkness?

"Pain."

"Excuse me?"

"Pain. That was my fear." He frowns at the memory.

"I'm sorry was I thinking out loud?"

"Yes... And might that feeling be curiosity?" He questions.

Slightly humiliated, I stutter, "Uh, yes well, I've got to go back to my dorm now."

"Mmmm, yes." He taps his chin.

I get to my feet. "Oh yes, and before you leave." He starts. "Jeanine wants to see you tonight."

And with that, I quickly turn around. Making my way down the dimly lit halls. A blue light shines dimly over a water fountain. I march past, without a second thought of the camera. I can feel its light following me. My mind is not on the camera. It's on something else. I can't place what. I just... I scowl. I make my way to my dorm. Room 142. The walls are black with an Erudite manifesto written in blue above the bed. The bathroom's grey, with white tiles. I slide my hand through my hair, tugging at it. Sighing I try to look past that last embarracing scene. Stupid!! I think scowling. Coward. Idiot. Jerk. Erudite. No matter how long I ignore my old faction, I will always feel its apart of me. Some how. The manifesto above my bed says Intellegence is a Gift. Shortened to fit on the wall. I frown at the floor, deep in thought. Before climbing into bed and sinking deep into the covers.