Bad, Worse, Terrible

I watched in fascination as the wolf stalked its prey. Slowly moving forward, each growl was more terrifying than the last. 

The Lupin stood no chance. The crazed blood in them would not allow them to back down even against an obvious disadvantage. Whoever this wolf was, it was trained and strong enough to fight two Lupin and win. The Lupin were just too stupid to realize it.

Every time either of the two Lupin swiped or lunged at the wolf, they met empty air as the wolf quickly twisted out of the way, always making sure it stood between me and them. With each missed attempt, the Lupin became more careless, randomly lunging in fury trying to catch hold of the wolf. 

It almost seemed like the wolf was toying with them. It knew it was stronger and quicker. This was just a game for it.

But every game had its wildcard. In its quick dash to get away from yet another swipe, the wolf had left his side exposed giving an opportunity for one of the Lupin to draw blood. 

The next time the Lupin charged, the wolf was done playing games. It met the Lupin's attack with ferocious snaps to their torsos. The Lupin, assuming that the wolf was just going to dash away, left this area open for the wolf to successfully latch on. With a few successful bites, the wolf had almost severed the upper half from the bottom of one of the Lupin.

The second Lupin didn't last much longer. A few moments, and chomps later, a head rolled down the alleyway.

I stood frozen in amazement, my fists still clenched, and my stance ready to launch an assault on creatures that no longer existed. As the wolf turned its glowing eyes towards me, I made no effort to conceal my shock. 

What the absolute fuck had just happened. 

The wolf didn't relax from its fighting stance either. It continued to stare at me from a short distance away. After observing him with the Lupin, I knew he could lunge and cover the space between us in a fraction of a second, so why wasn't he attacking me yet? 

Had it truly come to my aid or did it just want to kill me itself?

Neither of us wanted to concede our stance and continued to observe each other for a few more moments. Then, the wolf decidedly sat down. Truce.

Slowly, I uncurled my fist and tried to appear more relaxed while slowly reaching my hand into my pocket. I just needed to dial the emergency number in hopes that I could hold off the wolf for enough time for Father to arrive. 

The wolf's eyes trailed my hand and let out a low warning growl. 

Okay, plan B. 

I held out my hands up in protest. "Good doggy, nice doggy. Good boy, be nice." 

As I smelled human, I could play the part of the stupid scared human girl until I had a chance to escape. I just needed to somehow get to the main road to put enough distance between the wolf and me to escape. 

The wolf gave another low growl, obviously not appreciating my pet names for it. Slowly retreating behind a dumpster, its eyes continued to monitor me until I heard the snapping sounds of bones breaking and realigning. 

This is it, I realized. A wolf is most vulnerable when transitioning. A few warriors are able to transition in a matter of seconds, but most wolves could take up to several minutes to change skins. 

Now was the chance to decide: fight or flight. 

Begrudgingly, I chose flight. After seeing the wolf fight the Lupin off, I would not be expecting an easy fight.