If Only

PRESENT DAY

"Why?"

It seemed like a simple question, but it unraveled the truth to everything that had happened. It would let him know who I really was -even though he was already given several hints.

Why did this all start?

Why did this not end?

Why, why, why.

Well, why not?

I gave a slight scoff with the remainder of energy that I had left.

"Don't make this harder than it has to be Nora." He pleased, his eyes looked haunted, but his rigid posture let me know that he was ready to do what it took to get an answer out of me.

Again I refused to answer and with a slight nod, the guards were given permission to tilt my chair back enough to lay the already soaking wet towel on my face and proceeded to pour ice cold water on top. My head pounded, my respiratory system burned, but I did not express any signs of pain other that contorting my face when they pulled me back up.

"Tell me who you are working for?" Dominick pleaded once again. "If they are threatening you, I can protect you. I promise, but please Nora! Don't make me kill you!"

The flicker of oil lamps made his face look deadly. Nothing like how I once knew him. Everything thing had changed in a matter of a few months. Everything was different. And it would never be the same.

Oh, Dominick, if only we had met under different circumstances then maybe I would not have been so foolish, so irresponsible, so careless. Maybe then all those innocent lives would not be lost, and our races would not be at war. If only...