Unjust

Months before

I sat next to my father listening to the endless chatter of politics. Whether it was human or vampire, it depended on the day. Today, it was vampire - how great.

"Eleanora," Father interrupted my train of thoughts, "What is your input?"

The room fell silent. And all twelve councilmen and women sat upright in their seats listening intently to what I was about to say next.

Swallowing back the urge to snap back a response of I don't care, I met the gaze of each and every person of the room while still speaking fluently, without a hitch in my voice. "No matter whether a vampire is born or created, they forever will be a vampire until death claims them. It is in our nature to hunt prey. It is what Lilith intended us to do. But, with that said, we must regulate our laws in order to prevent humans from knowing our existence. Therefore, I propose that once every year, there be a time where the laws are set loose enough for us to hunt freely. But in the meantime, we must prevent the human race from becoming extinct because although our artificial blood can be made into sweets and desserts, they are just appetizers. A vampire cannot solely live on them to survive."

I glanced at my father for approval and received a short nod. Although it was subtle, I let out a breath of relief. 

There was a brief debate to iron out any potential issues with my proposal, but overall no one had any strong opposition to the idea. 

"Very well," Father proclaimed. "It is decided. Relegations on hunting will be applied, in exchange for one day of free-for-all hunting per year. This meeting has concluded. You are all dismissed."

It was not long until the room was empty for the exception of Father and me. We were always the last two to exit. But it was a perfect opportunity to ask him about the trip I was planning to take to Paris this weekend.

Slyly helping him arrange the files I asked sweetly, "Father, I was hoping that perhaps, with your permission, I would be able to fly to Paris this weekend to attend a show."

His answer was straight and blunt. "No."

Dropping the perfect princess act, I groaned and slouched in the chair, "Please. No shenanigans. I promise."

"I said no, Eleanora." He continued to shuffle papers into several different folders. The ones in my hands that I was separating fell on the table with a thump. My scowl was ignored as he continued to organize the documents back into his briefcase before standing up.

"But-"

"I do not want to hear it, Eleanora." He shook his head. "As the next queen, you should be worried about the clan's affairs, not galavanting to Europe whenever you please. Travel must be for a purpose. I would hardly consider a fashion show as a worthy purpose."

It wasn't just a fashion show! It was the fashion show. All the greatest designers were attending to show off their latest creations. It was the must-attend social event of the century. 

In an attempt to block him from leaving the room I ran to stand in front of the door. "Father, I can have the jet back by Monday morning. It would be as if-"

Stepping around me, he said, "No."

His unwillingness to discuss my short trip was unreasonable. I wasn't sure why he has been so insistent in keeping me near the past few months. If I had asked him about the trip only a year ago, he would have barely considered my request before giving me a nod in approval.

The repetitive schedule from home to political meetings back to home with equally dull clan events sprinkled throughout were driving me insane.

As we approached the town car, our human driver Pete held the door open for us. Sliding after Father, I continued to persuade him using all the tactics he made sure to teach me throughout the years. I was beginning to believe that this was a lost cause as he refused to acknowledge the conversation any further.