Prologue

Prologue

Snow covered the land. Not a speck of green showed through the heavy layer of snow. In the narrow dark alley, the only source of illumination was a flickering light above and that of passing cars. But although the blinding white covered the ground, there was a stark contrast of the deep red stain that surrounded a pale body.

“Daddy, what’s that?” A curly messy head filled with blonde hair, detached her hand from her father’s grip and crouched besides the naked corpse.

“Just another mutt.” Her father replied, ushering his daughter a few steps away from the gruesome sight. “Why don’t you go find your mother Eleanora?” Although he tried his best to hide it, there was a slight wrinkle of worry between his eyebrows. It was the fifth dead mutt that winter. Anymore, and the werewolves would start asking questions.

The persistent little girl shook her head and escaped her father’s grasp to run back at the body once again. “Daddy, look, what is that?” Eleanora knelt down and pointed at a small birthmark behind the ear of the body.

Her father bent down beside her, he had previously overlooked the small mark. As he examined it, the small child crawled under his robe seeking warmth from the shilling winter wind. The man’s faced paled, recognizing the mark and knowing that whatever followed would not be an act of peace.

Innocently, the girl stared at her father with wide, naïve eyes. “Why doesn’t the man wake up Daddy? Isn’t he cold?”

“He is dead. He will never wake up again.” He replied. It would seem harsh to tell a child of four this reality. But she had previously witnessed it, and will never stop witnessing it. And so, he wanted her to grow up to be a strong relentless queen. A queen that was stern, fierce, and unemotional –too well aware to be deceived. “And he is the first of many.”