Chapter 4

Chapter 4

All night my mind wondered, endless, with the possibilities; not only for the reasons as to why my brother decided to remain discreet for six years, but for what happened the one year he was in a lab.

Waiting for dawn I picked up the photo Old Brian gave me. I pondered at his words. 'who do you see?', and  'what you're looking for is right here.'. My eyes examined the photo over and over, I analyzed any detail that could be of help; the way each person smiled, the dark green forest in the background, and even a necklace that hung around Dad's neck. I rubbed my fingers across the photo seeing an orange tinted sunlight beginning to compose a glare. It was time.

I paused to see Nicole still asleep and then continued out the back door. I trotted lightly around to see if I could find any trace of my brother or Evan. With no luck, I knew just where to turn, Old Brian's place. A part of me trembled knowing what they kept a secret was for a reason, but deep down I know what resides in these veins. It's not just Sairen wolf blood, but the courage of a white wolf.

Steady, I approached the side of Old Brian's cabin-like home. I began to hear voices; knowing exactly who they belonged to. I instantly peered through the window, capturing a glimpse of what was taking place. Five bodies stood at the door way; Old Brian, Joey, Evan, and two siblings I did not recognize. The first sibling I noticed was tall and built, leaving his sister the opposite, short and thin. I assume these were the two Kiran referred to last night as Eric and Myra. Though they were both facing me their slanted eyes never strayed from Joey.

"If you can't find her, do not keep searching." Joey said. "Listen to me carefully." His eyes never strayed from Evan's. "Your job is to simply see if she is there, because if she is we've got to come up with a bigger plan to get her out." The tall man I assume is Eric, then pressed two fingers against Evan's chest.

"Got it?" Eric questioned. Evan swallowed hard, his focus on the tooth he was still holding from last night. The distrust Eric had in him was somehow comforting; I wasn't the only one. Evan only shook his head without saying a word. "Do I need to come with you?" Eric bulked up, an intimidating method to make sure Evan was on our side. Myra back handed her brother in the stomach, yet not a sound was released from her lips. Instead, she glared at both of them.

"We can trust him Eric." Joey brought some relief to the tension between them, but Eric's eyes never strayed from Evan's as he began his way out the door.

"Just one question." Evan said. He was almost out the door, but he stopped and turned around. "Your sister," He pointed at Joey. Not a soul blinked, especially not me. "Is she really a match for them?" Joey's fists clenched. Eric watched my brother sensibly, as if he waited for an approval. "I'm just worried. She's quite scrawny compared to Arah." Fury now held my brother captive.

Quick, Joey grabbed a handful of Evan's shirt, coming only inches from being face to face. "Listen, her birth brought the death of our mother. At only 4 years old she sinked her teeth into an elk, and by 9 years old had killed fifty three of your kind. Not to mention she fell down a large cliff yesterday without one broken bone in her body." Eric then stepped forward, this time trying to calm Joey down. "You forget who we are." Joey yelled. My heart began to sink, and the sun was rising. I watched Eric pry my brother off of Evan.

"Alright Joseph, he gets it." Said Eric.

"I-I'm sorry man." Evan stuttered. No more, not a sound was made from anyone as Evan staggered outside. When the door was shut, Old Brian finally spoke.

"Do you still think we can trust him?"

"Yes." Joey straightened his shirt and then leaned against the counter. "He's just afraid. Avros live in fear."