Chapter 19: I Need to Ask You Something

Carl

"There is no way you guys hopped from tree to tree until you reached the wall." Damon said with disbelief after we told him the story. The three of us sat in the living room at Enid's house, about thirty minutes after we came back to Alexandria.

"It's true. It sounds crazy, but it happened." Enid assured him.

"Weren't the trees too far apart?" He asked.

"Surprisingly, no." I answered. "And we only jumped on the trees that were thick and sturdy enough to hold us." I continued. I still wasn't entirely sure about this guy, and I still don't exactly trust him. However, Enid trusts him, and I need to learn to trust Enid's instincts.

"Listen Damon, you cannot tell anybody about this. We weren't supposed to be over the wall at all, and if anyone found out that we snuck over and almost died, we would be in huge trouble." Enid said, leaning in towards Damon so that he could see how serious she was.

"I won't tell. It looks like the three of us already have a lot of secrets" Damon said. Enid shook her head.

We heard Maggie shout from upstairs. "Enid! Can you come up here for a minute!?"

"Coming!" Enid yelled up the stairs. She turned to me and Damon. "I'll be right back."

This left me and Damon.

We sat in silence for a few seconds until Damon spoke. "Why did you guys go over the wall, anyway?"

"We go out there when we feel lost or upset. Running makes us feel better. It's a good thing Enid's leg healed from the gunshot wound, otherwise she would not have been able to climb through all those trees." I said

"Yeah, she got lucky." Damon replied

I sighed. "Thanks for distracting all those walkers." I said

"Yeah, no problem." He stood up. "Also, I said this to Enid, but not you; I'm sorry for taking advantage of Enid. It was wrong and I shouldn't have done it. I didn't grow up around people who loved me and who I loved, so it's weird being around people who care so much for each other."

I stood up as well. "It's cool. But I've told you before and I'm gonna tell you again, that if you ever touch her again, I will not hesitate to kill you." I put my hand out for Damon to shake. He took it and gave me a firm handshake.

Enid
(While Carl and Damon are talking)

I walked up to Maggie's room to find her sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Hey, Maggie. What's up?" I asked whilst walking in and closing the door behind me.

"I just wanted to ask you something." Maggie said.

"Okay." I said, walking over and sitting next to Maggie.

"The other day, when Ron died, you came in that night all excited because Carl kissed you. You said it was your first kiss."

"Yeah."

"Have you never kissed Ron before? You guys were dating long enough. So you never kissed him?" She asked.

I sighed. the truth as, I have kissed Ron, but it really didn't mean anything to me. He was a good person to me, but my feeling for him faded quickly soon after we started dating. But I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I didn't break up with him. When we kissed, it meant nothing to me, although it meant something to him. I didn't count that as a real kiss.

"Nope. We never kissed." I simply said.

I got up and started heading toward the door before Maggie stopped me.