Chapter 11

Asher's viewpoint

The school days were normal but the condition in my house exacerbated. After my father left, mom became depressed and easily annoyed. My twin brothers became quieter.

I became depressed. I told everything to Nia. She said nothing in return. I don't know but her silence irked me.

Is she judging me?

She paid more attention to her studies. She was doing an online management course already. I wondered how did she work so hard.

About our relationship, well, just friends. She avoided me most of the time. So on graduation day, I mustered up all my courage to confront her about the way she changed.

"Nia, which college are you joining now? You promised me you would tell me everything you planned, we can go to the same coll..." She interrupted me "3 months, I need three months. After that I will tell you everything. I promise."

Is she running away from me?

"What the heck? You avoided me most of the time. We are graduating and you still need time. You want to leave me right? Dammit! Just say the truth instead of making excuses" I was really angry .

"Asher, you are hurting me" I saw her arm which I was holding real tight. I didn't let go, though I reduced the intensity.

"Yes or no? You love me or not" I asked.

"After 3 months I'll let you know, you can trust me and wait or you can move on with anyone like Lola" She looked determined.

What's with you? After 3 months you'll need more time.

I just sandwiched her between me and a wall and forcefully kissed her.

She was resisting but I didn't back down. When I let go, she slapped me "I am not a toy, I need time, choice is yours and don't contact me for three months, for now, I hate you and I don't want to see you ever again" she left.

Her words broke me. The condition of my family was already gnawing at my heart and now Nia's words made me fall apart.

Fine! I am never going to see you again, Nia. I am never going to smile and never going to love. I'll become a stone because nobody deserves my heart. There's no difference between you and my father. I hate you too Nia.

After 3 months.

My mom has become much more quieter, same like my younger brothers. She just cooks and works like a maid. I earn money through underground racing. I know it's illegal but with studies and so many responsibilities, that's the place where  I can earn a lot of grands. I hate to admit it but memories of Nia still make me weak.

Hardly anyone talks at my house. The silence is really haunting.

I just came back from my college when I saw my father. My eyes burnt with rage "What the hell are you doing here? Get your ass out" I held him from his collar.

"Asher, at least listen to him, he just entered" Mom pleaded.

I didn't want to hurt her.

"Spit it out" I asked him to tell why he's here after so much time.

"I'm sorry for whatever I have done, my company was suffering losses so I just couldn't handle the pressure. I want to set everything right. I can't live without you, can't live without my family. There's a new woman in my life who just showed me the real meaning of life, of love..." I interrupted him.

"So you're here to tell us that you have an affair, you asshole, none of the twins are going with you" I hissed at him.

"They are my kids too" he replied.
"Oh I know you, after divorce you needed someone to satisfy you" I punched him.

"Asher no!!" Mom pleaded and so did my brothers.
"Jeremy and Jeremiah, go to your rooms, now" I said but they denied.

My father gave me some papers "I never signed the divorce papers, I love your mom, after she signed the papers, I couldn't. Asher, I am here for all of you, please forgive me."

He went to mom "Honey, I don't have any affair, I won't even look at any other woman except you. I was really depressed and didn't know what to do. I just didn't want you all to be the part of my loss. I'm sorry. Please forgive me."

Mom hugged him and so did Jeremy and Jeremiah. After so long, they were smiling.

I just left the house for some fresh air. I couldn't deal with this drama. But for my family and their restored happiness, I thought of tolerating him. I just couldn't forgive him that easily.

In the evening, I saw my family gathered for dinner smiling cozily. They were so happy but I just straightaway went to my room. I couldn't forgive my father yet.

Hardly had I entered my room, my father barged into my room.

"Mr.Gibbs, please get out..." he interrupted me "You are my son"
I interrupted him too "I wish I could change that."

"Asher, please," he replied.
"What do you want?" I asked him to get to the point.

"I want to earn your forgiveness and want you to respect me in front of my friends..."
I cut him "so your sidekick is coming and you want to impress her or you want to have two wives?"

He looked sad "It's nothing like that. Instead of me proving it, I would have you to see it for yourself and I wish I could get my son back."

I kept quiet and he left.

I wish tomorrow never comes.

But the night passed faster. In the morning before I left for college, Jeremy and Jeremiah pranked me and made me fall down. Instead of getting mad, I didn't say anything. No emotion but I was really happy that my brothers were back.

In the evening when I came back, the scene at the dinning table surprised the hell out of me.

What the...

.....
Check out my new book Human Recast.