|23| Façade

I woke up to my door being carelessly tossed open by none other than some random silhouette of a person. Hurriedly, I flicked my lamp on, prepared to fight if necessary. My bare feet hit the floor, and my alarm clock alerted me that it was three in the morning. Of course, prime time for someone to break into my house. Yet, I didn't feel threatened by the time another figure joined the first one, who had stubbed his toe and was cursing in pain. Besides, I recognized them, even if Shell had a few bruises and Carl had a fading black eye.

I crossed my arms over my chest, still mildly freaked out that they had broken into my room in the dead of night. "I'm glad to see that you guys are out of the hospital."

Carl sighed, finally done cursing over his toe. He leaned against my vanity, dangerously close to an eyeshadow palette I adored. "We didn't want to go, but they took one look at us and admitted us. We got out at the same time Car did."

Was it weird that I actually worried about them? They weren't exactly 'friends' yet, but they had helped us with Drew. "Why are you in my room at three in the morning?'

"It's actually three thir-"

I cut Shell a glare. "I don't care."

Carl shrugged. "Well, we came to check on Car and say hi to you and Vien. So, hi."

I rolled my eyes. "Hi." I looked down, grateful that I was wearing pajamas that left everything to the imagination.

Carl sheepishly grinned. "So, Cars and Vien want to hang out. Whatcha think?"

It was three in the morning and my eyes burned with lack of sleep. Yet, if I stayed up, maybe I could miss school in the morning. Or a bit. Besides, I wanted to get to know my sibling's friends, and I wanted to do something interesting. In response to their question, I nodded. "Okay, why not? What are we doing, because I'm getting a little sick of burgers."

Shell laughed at that, and Carl thankfully backed away from my makeup.

"We're going swimming."

My eyes widened. I knew this town was right by the water, but I didn't think we'd going swimming. At three in the morning. While it was dark outside.

But, I simply shrugged. It had been a while since I swam since my old city wasn't near a body of water. Plus, we simply didn't go swimming that much. "Please don't tell me we're going skinny dipping."

The brothers glanced at each other and bursted out laughing.

"As appealing as that would be-"

Carl smacked his brother on the head as Vienna appeared in the doorway, leaning against it at she raised an amused eyebrow.

"We usually swim in our pajamas. Don't let these idiots lie to you."

Carson then walked up beside his sister, both in their pajamas. Now, when my eyes flicked to the two boys in the middle of my room, I realized they were also wearing night clothes. They both wore matching grey shorts and some random t-shirts. Carson was wearing checkered pajama pants, starring the colors red and blue, with a plain white t-shirt. I wondered if he was patriotic as heck or that was just a coincidence.

"We weren't about to lie. Unlike a younger Vienna. 'Oh no, Carl, fire doesn't burn you.'"

Everyone burst out laughing, save a sulking Carl.

"H-How did you not know fire could burn you?" I sputtered, nearly toppling over as my lungs began to burn from my raging laughter.

"Because he's an idiot," his brother deadpanned, sobering up and moving towards the door. "Don't worry," he pretended to whisper to me, "he knows that he can drown in water. I think."