|32| To Be Living

"What the hell?" I muttered to myself. It was then that I realized who screamed. Vienna. My heart dropped to my stomach.

"You really think we'd let you get away with all you've done?" Cara laughed through the school's intercom. Everyone could hear her. Everyone could hear what was going on. Even the teachers, who I hoped would do something.

"Where are they?" Asher hissed, clenching his fists. "They're about to get a nice talking to. With my fists."

I would've laughed if Lexus hadn't spoken next.

"Get outside and fight like the dog you are. If not, your sister dies."

My eyes widened. They literally threatened to kill my sister over the school's intercom. Hey, um, teachers. Where are you? Shouldn't you be doing your job or something?  I headed outside. Asher was on my tail, trying to talk me into a calmer state. My anger was too much. It was boiling under the surface, even when I tried to calm myself down. The only thing that would calm me down was beating one of those jerks to a bloody pulp. Yes, that would be very stress relieving for me.

Suddenly, Lydia was beside me, handing me a knife. I accepted it, and she had one in her own hand. Asher looked surprised and even relieved. He didn't comment on it. Tala and Amara joined us next, as well as Carson. All of us filed out of the school and into the parking lot. There, Drew, the girls, and Chris's crew were waiting for us. A very angry Vienna had duct tape over her mouth and her hands behind her back. She was at school that day, finally back after her fever had left her. Now, Drew and Chris kept firm hands on her to keep her from moving.

I had people advancing on me. I had Lexus shouting that I had to fight myself, not my friends. I kept the knife clenched in my fists, and everything seemed a bit disoriented. Suddenly, I gulped in a deep breath and saw the picture for what it was. We were a bunch of teens trying to deal with our problems using our fists and knives and guns. Drew literally had a gun at his side.

I glanced at my friends surrounding me, at my siblings. Then, I shook my head and threw the knife to the ground. People gasped, and it was then that I realized most of the school had gathered around us, waiting to see blood shed. Except, they weren't going to.

"No," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "This is honestly stupid. What will this get us? You lost friends because you're not good people, not because I'm the enemy. Now let my sister go and stop being brats. It's over!"

Drew scoffed. "What, you too scared to lose?"

"No. You're stupid. This is all so stupid. You people need to learn that being brats isn't the answer you're looking for."

Drew held the gun to Vienna's temple.

My throat seemed to close up, but I pushed past it. "Okay, what's that going to solve?"

Before he could respond, someone yanked the gun out of his hand and shot him in the leg. Then, Chris as well. She stood in front of Vienna, not even breaking a sweat. Her eyes met mine and she smirked.

"Hey, sis," Amelia laughed. "I didn't expect to be shooting people as soon as I got here from the airport."

"Amelia?" I gasped. 

People backed away as my mother came into view, as well as the man that raised me. I began to tremble. What were they doing here? Then, I realized that stupid teenagers were the least of my problems. I was about to be taken away from everything and everyone I had just started to cherish. As if matching my mood, it began to sprinkle once again.

By now, most people had gone back inside as directed by teachers. The police had finally arrived to bring some order back to that high school. I watched as everyone who threatened my sister, my friendships, everything were put in handcuffs and led away, two of them on stretchers. I watched as Vienna embraced her brother and other sister, and how they looked like they never wanted to let her go. Then, I looked towards the only family I'd had just a few months ago. I looked towards Amelia, who had dropped the gun on the police's request and was being questioned. Then, I looked towards the people I called my parents, who wouldn't share the same air as each other. The divorce still stood. I knew it did.

Finally, my senses snapped back to me and I walked towards them on shaking legs. My friends were forgotten. My new relationship was forgotten. My new siblings were forgotten. All that mattered was my old life coming back to stare me in the face. I didn't want to go back to it. The only piece I wanted back was Amelia, who I took me in her arms as I allowed myself to sob into her shoulder. Why I let myself cry I'd never know. I just did as my sister held me. Then, I stepped away and wiped my eyes, looking to the mother who'd always hated me.

My birth father and Melanie rushed towards the scene. By now, it was just all of my family, Tala, Amara, and my new boyfriend remaining. Rich and my mother stared at each other for a long time, and the man who raised me wouldn't stop glaring at him. I could do nothing but watch as the inevitable reunion happened. Only, it wasn't too happy. It wasn't too wordy, either. They just glared and stared until I cleared my throat.

"Adalaide, your father and I have sorted things out," my mother told me. She still didn't want me. I knew she didn't, but I was used to that by now. I wasn't used to the cold look in the eyes of the man who'd raised me. I guess family could turn on you just as easily as anyone else.

"Custody will be shared," my step-father spoke.

I shook my head. "I don't want to be with either of you, and I know that neither of you want me. Here, I've finally found myself. Here, I'm finally someone. I have friends, a boyfriend, and a mom that actually cares about me. I'm not going back to what I thought was living."

My mother's eyes hardened. "You don't have a choice."

"Let her stay!" Amelia snapped. Then, she turned to Italian, and they began arguing so fast that I could barely follow. Her father joined in, and I could pick of snippets of what was being said. In the end, it crushed my heart, because I knew the parents I'd spent my first sixteen years of life with didn't want me anymore. I didn't allow myself to cry again. I had a new family, a better family. I didn't care about their money, I cared about their hearts.

Finally, my mother let out a sigh. She ran a hand through her hair and turned to Rich. "Whatever. She's your problem now."

Melanie smiled sweetly. "I'll make sure Ada realizes she's a blessing, not the curse you make her out to be. Now get out of our town!"

My mother huffed and walked away, my father following. Amelia turned and gave me a tight hug.

"Will I ever see you again?" I whispered into her shoulder.

She pulled away and nodded. "Of course. I'll visit, you'll visit. Erm, we'll figure it out. But I'm glad that you're finally happy."

"Are you happy with them? I feel bad leaving you with two divorced parents," I sighed.

She shrugged. "I'm going off to college soon anyways. I'll talk to you soon, okay?"

I nodded. "Bye, Lia."

She smiled, waved, and walked away.

I couldn't help it. A few tears dripped down my cheeks. A hand landed on my shoulder. Melanie smiled down at me and pulled me into a hug.

"We love you, Ada. They don't know what they're missing out on."

"Yeah," Vienna agreed, and her arms were around me as well. Soon, so many people were hugging me I wasn't sure who was who. But, I was smiling, laughing, and realizing what it really meant to be living.

_____

Um, that's it, save the epilogue. Thank you guys so much for all the support on this story! I thought it would be longer, but I realized where it needed to end. I'm not that good with endings, so let me know what you guys think!

-Sarah