Chapter Ten

Dear Clara,
If you're reading this letter that means I am already dead and life sucks. I just can't leave with my self anymore. I can't walk, I can't dance to my favorite song, I can't do anything by myself. I stopped taking the medications and the treatments, it felt useless. I did what was best for me. Sometimes you have to be your own hero.

I will always be your best friend. I believe in you Clara, I always have and always will. You have a wonderful life ahead of you, I hope you believe that. And don't ever give up. You have always been stronger than you think, I know you never believed this, but you are. Stoic, intelligent and an amazing soul.

I am sorry I won't be there to see you get married and be your maid of honor, like we planned. I am sorry I won't be there to read your book, I am so sorry our kids won't be best friends. But I will always be there. Let our memories together feel in the void.

Give love a chance, one day you will be someone's best thing. And I suppose Luca is yours. You are in love Clara and you might not know it yet but you are. The way you talk about him, like he's strange magic. Don't give up on him.

Clara James thank you for completing my puzzle.

  Love Your Best Friend,
Ava ❤️

Two Weeks Later.

Clara

"I don't want to go to Greece," I said.

"Where do you want to go?" he asked in a husky tone, while walking towards me.

"I-I do - don't know..." I stammered, my breathing becoming heavy. I took careful steps backwards, as he walked towards me. I was trapped, against a wall and his hand placed rigid on the wall. He starred at me. My heart beat increasing.

I was completely unprepared. You would think after all the time we spent together - I'd be used to his presence. It's those cerulean blue eyes of his that always intimidate me. He leaned in close and softly kissed my neck, I froze as trembles shook my body, warmth blossomed within.

Breathless... As he showered me with gentle, soft, kisses, each with it's own flicker of warmth. I gazed up to him, thrilled beyond words to be a recipient of his affection. Luca drew back and spent time studying my face. I blushed as the scrutiny deepened.

I placed my hand on his chest, and push him. As I walked away. He says the most unexpected thing. "I love you."

"The pasta is getting cold," I said, trying to change the subject.

"I am not hungry," he said, sounding disappointed.

"But you barley ate," I told him.

"I am not in the mood," he said in a harsh tone. He sat on the couch and started watching soccer on the television.

I invited Luca over for dinner. Luca has been great. I have gotten to know him. Even though he doesn't talk much about his family or past.
But other then that he is charming, funny, caring, loving and understanding. He's just amazing.

We have been going on many dates and making out A-LOT. We didn't go to Greece, since I had to be back in New York the next day - my parents were leaving for California and I promised them brunch.

I honestly love spending time with him. It feels like my world is complete, it feels nice and secure. I can be me. We can sit together in silence and it's okay. I love every moment spent with him. I should have said it back... I should have told him that I love him. I started washing the dishes, after I finished I tried to tidy up a bit. Luca still watching the soccer match. I found a letter on the counter. Hmm how come I haven't opened it yet.

I sat on the chair and opened the letter. I read each sentence twice, I just couldn't believe what I was reading. Tears leaving my eyes, falling on to the paper... Ava's dead.
Luca walked up to me. "What's wrong?" He asked.

I whipped my tears and said, "I love you too."

"I swear I couldn't love you more than I do right now, and yet I know I will tomorrow." he said and kissed me. I still couldn't stop crying. He stopped kissing me. "Clara what is it?" He asked concerned.

"Ava is dead. My my best friend..." I cried in his arms. He held me tight. "She didn't deserve to die."

"It's going to be okay Clara." I couldn't get my self to stop crying. She's dead, I still can't believe it. She's always been there for me. I stayed in Lucas arms, I couldn't move...

Luca carried me into my room and kept me on the bed. He left the room and came back with a box of tissues and a glass of water. He sat next to me and wiped my tears, when they trickled down my cheek. He made me drink water. I was in his arms, where I felt safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~