Memories

[To celebrate this story reaching 100 reviews on fanfiction.net, which is where this was originally posted, I gave the 100th reviewer the option of writing an excerpt for this. Their name is KaliAnn on fanfiction.net, and they wrote the part that is between the asterisks.]

****

He was trying to relax in the Cave and pay attention to the conversation going on with his friends. Aqualad had returned from Atlantis after helping Aquaman sort through the chaos brought by an attack on the underwater kingdom. He had also heard there had been some trouble with Queen Mira's pregnancy, but all had ended happily and her baby was safe.

"I'm glad to see you again Kaldur. For a while, we were wondering if you decided to stay in Atlantis after everything that's happened recently," Wally mentioned. The others members made agreeing sounds.

Kaldur took a deep breath as if he was bringing his thoughts together. "Atlantis is still recovering from recent events, but our people are strong. Queen Mira is a powerful mage who fought to protect her people despite her condition. While the safety of Atlantis is always important, my King has asked her to scale back her activities."

"I bet that didn't go so well. A woman never likes being told what to do, especially if she's pregnant," Artemis commented. Her words had an effect on him, who stiffened. Her comment was bringing up another flashback, but he pushed it back trying to focus on Aqualad's story. He had to stay strong and not give in to these flashbacks.

"The reason I've been gone so long, is that I was needed to help with a compromise between my King and Queen. Tula and Garth, who have taken up the titles Aquagirl and Tempest, are training to become the child's bodyguards. When the time comes for the heir to being training, I will be their teacher. It is an honor I look forward to."

Upon hearing those words, Robin found himself reliving a memory. One that had haunted him for a time.

It was nearly two and half years since the Invasion. Earlier a distress call had come in from Tempest, with a bit of panic in his voice. He said that Ocean Master, the deceased King's younger brother, had joined forces with Black Manta. The two of them had laid siege against the underwater kingdom in a twisted combination of both revenge and a coup, in hopes of achieving their goals. It had taken the whole team to put a stop to their plan. The city had months of reconstruction waiting for them. Many citizens had suffered horrible injuries and the team was still waiting to hear if the Queen and Prince were okay.

As Nightwing switched into dry clothing, he looked out the sub's windows thanking the newly rebuilt Star Labs, for having finished building this craft in time to help. "Who knew Barbra could drive a sub as well as rides a motorcycle?" he whispered to himself. "I kept my promise Kaldur. I saved your home and your pupil."

A knock on the door drew him out of his pondering. "Come in!" He expected Arsenal or Tempest to come in, but was surprised to see Aquagirl approaching him instead. She had slightly nervous expression on her face. "Tula, is everything okay? Has something happened to Queen Mira or Prince Arthur?"

"No, they're fine. Our best healers managed to stop the blood loss and reattached the Queen's hand so she wouldn't lose it. Prince Arthur suffered nothing more than a few bruises - thank Poseidon for that. Tempest is currently guarding him. It will take some time for us to sort out the traitors from the innocents due to the amount of destruction and lies."

Nightwing nodded, he was surprised the underwater kingdom was still standing after the massive battle that had taken place. At one point he had lost hope they would save the underwater kingdom. Several civilians, led by an Atlantean named La'gaan, had turned the tide in their favor. Both Aquagirl and Tempest saw potential in the young lad to be a powerful hero. Nightwing also thought he make a good hero for the team in a few years. Those thoughts would have to wait. He needed to know what was going on with Tula. "Whatever you have to say Aquagirl, say it. We've all learned the importance of speaking up when you can."