Chapter 9

The following day, Harry wakes up to an empty bed, a sore throat, and a note on his nightstand. His eyes are blurry as he reaches for the note, making him have to blink multiple times before he can make out Niall's scrawly, smudged hand-writing. The note is short and rushed; assumedly something Niall wrote right as he was leaving for class. The only important contents are that Niall called in for Harry, and that he will be home by noon.

Harry's eyes then glance at the alarm clock that's placed on the other side of the room, the large green letters showing that it's just passed 11. Harry's unsure if he should roll out of bed to make himself something to eat, even though he's still quite exhausted and the pillow looks inviting.

His decision is proved to be the latter when he wakes up to the sound of Niall entering the room, looking slightly discouraged as he removes his shoes. When he turns around and notices Harry, he perks up slightly.

"Are you alright?" Niall asks and makes his way towards the bed. Harry nods and smiles as his boyfriend, reaching for him. "Do you need anything?"

"No," Harry answers, but his voice is hoarse and broken. He shakes his head as well to make sure Niall understood him.

Niall leaves the bedside to remove the rest of his clothing, changing into something more comfortable. "I'll bring you a cup of water." Harry moves to sit up, as a way of offering that he'll be fine without it, but Niall has already left the room when he goes to say something.

Harry lays back down, situating his head in the crevice he left in his pillow, awaiting Niall's return. Harry's mind was hazy when he first woke up, but now that he's been given a few moments, he understands why Niall is acting the way he is. When Niall returns with the cup of water, Harry takes three big gulps of the liquid before handing the cup back. Niall places it on his own nightstand before pulling the covers on his side back and settling in next to Harry. Niall makes the first move to pull Harry into him, allowing the man to snuggle into his neck and wrap his arm around Niall's waist.

"Have you just woken up?" Niall asks after a few moments in order to break the silence, and hopefully easing some of the tension in the room.

"Mhm. How was your exam?" Harry doesn't want to get into the topic of what happened last night just yet, so he goes for what he knows must be occupying Niall's mind, even if only slightly.

Niall, however, doesn't agree with Harry on the topic when he replies. "I'm more worried about you than some exam." Niall didn't mean for it to come out harshly, and he hopes Harry doesn't get upset at his tone.

"I'm alright, Niall, and I want to know how your exam went. You've been worried about it for months now. I'm sure you aced it."

"Even if I did, Harry, I won't be getting my scores back any time soon. I spent too much time worrying about that stupid exam, when I should have been worried about you." Niall pauses, giving Harry a chance to intervene. When Harry stays silent, Niall continues, "What happened last night completely threw me for a loop. I thought you were going to die, Harry."

Harry murmurs, "I wouldn't have."

"I know that now, but Jesus Christ, Harry. What was that? I've never seen that behaviour from you, what happened?" Niall moves back so he can look down at Harry's face, but Harry's not looking back.

"My head was just making up stupid stuff. It wasn't anything important." Harry feels foolish for thinking the way he did, as if he were an inexperienced child.

Niall could see through Harry's lie straight away. "I know that's not true."

Harry doesn't want to admit what exactly happened, though he knows how desperate Niall is for answers. "It's not relevant anymore. I thought it was something to worry about but it isn't. We can move past this."