A Plan

I stared in bewilderment as Phillip awoke and gently reached for me—his hand gliding through my opaque form. He grimaced sadly and sighed.

"I think I preferred the dream. I hate seeing you reduced to this. Leaves you in no better shape than the common ghost."

"I agree. But it's kind of cool to be able to float around unnoticed," I mused. "That's one thing I'll miss when we get me out of here."

I sat on the bed next to him while he furrowed his brow and began to contemplate how we might proceed to rescue me. It seemed too simple that I should just find my body in the tower, have him kiss me, and get away without running into some kind of trouble. Firstly, the tower was quite a while away—I didn't have the energy that my mother had to just move so quickly from one place to the next; secondly, I knew for certain my mother would not let us defeat her quite so easily.

As if to confirm my suspicions, a flash of lighting coursed in the direction where the tower lay. I shivered and, instinctively, Phillip moved to get me a blanket before remembering that he could not keep me warm as he would like to. I grinned, the warmth of his smile melting any fear I had of failing. At least if I did fail I'd found him. I was worried I'd have to speed date in the dreaming world.

"What do you think we should do? Undoubtedly there will be problem getting me there. She's going to expect that I'm coming; it will be impossible for somebody who is in physical form to get into the tower without dying, if not nearly. I have the upper hand, though. I can do more than a human can. But I'm sure that she foresaw any daemon aside from herself trying to get in and help get you free."

I frowned. Phillip was right. If he was going to get me out of that horrible tower he was going to have to get creative—more-so than my mother. I was hopeful that he could be. Perhaps in her haste, my mother would have forgotten some key thing or factor in keeping someone from the tower.

"Maybe not!" I exclaimed.

"What do you mean?"

I lowered my voice in fear that someone might be listening into our conversation. He smiled and waved his hand—a dome of pure magic enshrouded us and he winked. It crackled a light pink and gave the room a sense of safety with its soft glow. I hoped that it couldn't be seen from the outside like this.

"Anything we say now won't be heard by anyone but us."

"Why didn't you do that sooner?"

"I didn't sense any additional presences listening. But I do now. The good thing is that this wall will prevent her from seeing me speak to you. But she knows I'm here. And she is coming to check and see what's going on. Stay down—hold your thought. I've got this under control," Phillip whispered.

Taking a sudden stand, he pulled himself free of the wall to greet my mother, who had opened the door in the room below. Her eerie voice bloomed through the house.

"Phillip, dear," she crooned.

My stomach boiled hot with fury. I wanted to wrench forward from the bubble and take her down.

My mother came sweeping into the room and smiled. Her silvery orbs came alive at the sight of my prince. It was then that realization hit me: Lilith—my mother—liked Phillip. I kept a scream from erupting from my throat. So this was the reason for her treachery?

"Phillip, darling. The brat is gone," she said, delight pulling at her familiar smile. I wanted to rip it straight off her face as she moved throw her arms around him.

He visibly cringed and pulled away from her in a fit of his own rage. His icy eyes became alive with a pale fire and I wanted to cry with support for him. He had been loyal all this time?