Advice For School

Having the Courage to Study.
When we fail academically, we tend to point to two causes: stupidity and laziness. It's so easy to say that we're not smart enough, or that we just don't want to try because it doesn't really matter. But there's another factor involved: fear. So many students have the strategy of not studying or not studying properly for an exam.
Why? Because if you put low effort into something, then you should expect a low result. So many of us are afraid of trying and failing that we don't even try. "
What if my best isn't good enough?"
We're afraid of giving our best because once we know our limits, we feel that much weaker. But life in school isn't about not trying, it's about accepting those limits and breaking them.
To survive and ultimately thrive, you must have the courage to reach your full potential.That courage, that vigor, that strive to be better is what will keep you alive, not just in school but in the real world.

Sleep and Eat well.
We often lose sleep or skip meals in order to survive the rigors of life.But keep in mind, those choices in the rest and nourishment you receive have consequences.
Having the energy to focus throughout the day is vital. Nobody wants to be tired, nobody can afford to be sick.

Pay Attention in Class.
There's a difference between passive hearing and active listening. Letting the teacher's words wash over you like a warm shower is NOT the same as paying attention. Teachers are human beings, capable of expressing emotion and emphasis in their words and actions. There's a reason why you learn from them rather than from a book or the internet. Catching what they're trying to say is a skill that takes effort to learn.
**The skill of listening is one of the most important ones to develop because a teacher's words are your last resort in an examination.
If a quiz catches you by surprise, your memory of the class is the difference between A+ and an F.

Take USABLE Notes.
Normally, humans are not capable of memorizing lessons entirely in their head.That's what notes are for. Keep in mind that notes should be USABLE, they are not things that you make for the sake of looking or feeling productive. Each person has a specific style of learning and their notes should reflect that. Notes that are too long/elaborate, too short/simple, unreadable, or illogical are detrimental. Good notes should be aids in studying, not justification for carrying notebooks.

**Tips:
Save time by using abbreviations or acronyms.
Rearrange/reconstruct words or phrases for convenience.
ex. Famous Authors of America –> Impt. American Authors.
- Avoid copying verbatim unless necessary (quotes).
Write down examples, esp. in science/math related subjects.
If notes are incomplete, supplement them via reliable sources or your teacher.
Practice.
There is more to studying than reading/note-taking. Practice is essential. This is especially true for Math-related subjects. Reading your notes before a Math exam is not really going to help you understand the problem or protect you from careless mistakes. The only way to improve in the subject is by doing the exercises and learning from both your success and failure. Memorizing definitions isn't as important as using them. Being able to analyze, compare, and contrast is vital to survival.

Review a Little Bit, Regularly.
Slow and steady wins the race. Students tend to read a ton of material before an exam. However, the human mind requires time in order to fully grasp ideas and concepts. Taking 10-20 minutes to read your notes after school daily can help in memorizing lessons, understanding themes, and recalling important points. Taking every subject's lessons day by day will prevent you from being overwhelmed.
**Tip:
When reading through your notes, picture yourself in the classroom with your classmates and teacher. The human mind is like a web, connected by images and sounds. Doing so can help you recall things written on the board or things mentioned by the teacher.