A Moment Like This

Hey guys... is anyone still here?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Judy was acting weird. Sure she's been weird in the past like when she pretends to be sick so she can stay home from school or when she's supposed to keep something a surprise but this was none of those things. This was different and Lorraine was gonna find out one way or another.

It started when Judy came home from school Monday afternoon. There was an extra pep in her step and the smile on her face never seemed to leave. This made Lorraine not only happy but suspicious as well because this has never happened before. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday was no different. She was still smiling from ear to ear and that day Ed noticed it too. 

"What's up, Buttercup?" He asked while Judy was in the kitchen and Judy just shook her head and said that it was nothing before skipping away with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in her right hand. "I don't know about that," He muttered before going back to reading the newspaper.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

On Wednesday, something interesting happened. Lorraine was minding her own business while making Judy's bed when something fell on her foot. Picking it up, she realized it was Judy's journal. She looked at the door to make sure Ed wasn't there and almost opened the journal to begin reading.

I shouldn't be doing this, Lorraine thought. This is her journal.

Her hands had other ideas in mind and before she could tell herself no again, she flipped to the most recent entry.

Dear Diary,

Today Jake asked me out. It surprised me but I knew I liked him back so I said yes. I haven't told Mom and Dad yet because I'm afraid Mom'll say no and Dad'll be too protective of me. I mean I am almost in high school so they should know that I am going to be going on dates now because I'm getting older.I hope the date goes well with Jake.

Judy

Ah, so this was about a boy. What was she gonna do? She could keep it to herself and hope that Judy tells them soon. She could tell Ed and he would know what to do. She could also confront Judy. She decided to keep it to herself, not wanting anyone to be mad at her for crossing a boundary.

At dinner, she hoped Judy would say something. However she kept her mouth closed and didn't reveal anything.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A whole 24 hours passed and Lorraine was so close to blowing her cover. She didn't want to admit this but she felt like she was back in high school, keeping secrets again from everyone. 

"Sooo, this guy asked me out," Judy revealed at the dinner table, looking expectantly at her parents.

"That's great, love. When is it?" Lorraine tried to keep her cool.

Meanwhile, Ed began asking all sorts of questions like how old is he and where does he live.

Judy politely answered the questions and Ed finally agreed to let her go on the date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You look gorgeous," Lorraine smiled, seeing Judy dressed up waiting for her date to come pick her up.

"Thanks, Mom," Judy smiled as the doorbell rang. Judy got up to answer it and when she did, Jake stood on the other side looking very handsome.

Ed and Lorraine introduced themselves and Ed made him promise that he'd have her home no later than ten o'clock on the dot.

"Of course, sir," He smiled and held out his hand for Judy who gladly took it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So root beer or Coke?" Jake asked as he and Judy walked in the park.

"Root beer. Cherry or grape flavored Popsicles?" Judy responded and Jake responded with grape.

"Kiss or no kiss?" Jake boldly asked.

"Kiss," Judy said softly before his lips connected with hers.