Chapter 9 - Invite Only

I met Jezebel and Cara in Cafeteria Three. McKayla was with us, too, and two boys who I didn't recognize.

One of the boys was huge. He was at least 6'8", with broad shoulders and large biceps. He had a very short buzz cut, and he looked like he was in the human Navy or Army or something. He looked like he was twenty-something years old.

He nodded to me, before putting his arm around Cara

He nodded to me, before putting his arm around Cara. Oh. So they were boyfriend and girlfriend.

The second boy looked at least two years younger. He had brown hair and he was kinda short, but he wasn't too skinny. Pretty hot. When I thought about it, he looked a lot like Jace.

He grinned at me

He grinned at me. "Hey! So you're the new girl everyone's talking about. Heard you beat up my brother pretty bad. Congrats!"

I assumed he meant Jace. So that meant Jace was his brother. "You're happy I beat him up?" I asked.

"Hell yeah! No one ever beats him, it's nice to have him on the losing side for once. Maybe now he'll tone down that arrogance of his." He chuckled.

McKayla rolled her eyes. "Adam is Jace's little brother."

"By less than a year!" Adam protested.

McKayla said, "Yeah. This is my boyfriend Adam Ryder, and that's Garrison Stone, Cara's boyfriend."

"Hi." I smiled. But inside, I was a little disappointed that my new friends had boyfriends. Until now, I'd never really had many friends, besides Xander back at ParaCo. Well, at least Jezebel was single.

"Jezebel has a boyfriend too, but he's off fighting the Paranormals out in the field." McKayla said. I sighed. Now I was the only one without a boyfriend. Great.

Jezebel looked down. "I know he's doing what he can to help get rid of the disgusting creatures, but I miss him so much, and I'm so scared he won't come back. What if a faerie makes him drink a love potion and fall in love with her? What if a troll eats him? What if a vampire bites him and he transforms?"