I Have to Make You Mine

“That should be the last of it.” Tucker said putting the drywall on the pile.

            “Good, we can finish working on the frame tomorrow. Can you relay the message to the other guys, and then go home and get some rest.”

            “No problem Jeff. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Tucker took off his work gloves and walked over to the group of men standing by the trucks. It is a wonder how they get anything done with this group of guys because they take more breaks than anyone he’s ever seen. He just shakes his head chuckling to himself.

As the foreman of this construction crew he rarely ever gets a minute to himself during the workday. The only time he stops working is when he is taking fifteen minutes to eat, then he’s back at it. He hates to see work unfinished, whether it’s his or someone else’s he just wants it done. It probably comes from many years in the service industry. As a teenager he worked long summer hours at his father’s landscaping company, which taught him the benefits of hard work and the appreciation of every dollar earned. So when other people don’t share his particular work ethic it sort of bugs him.

            “What’s up Tuck?” Barry, one of the crew members asks.

            “Obviously not you. We’re finished for the day so you all can go, but be back here at 8am and on time. We’ve got a lot of groundwork to cover and we only have a limited amount of time to get it done.”

            “Sure thing boss man.” Joe, one of the other crew members says with a huge smile on his face.

            “Smile all you want today because tomorrow I’m going to push your asses hard so we can get this stuff done and move on. Now, get off my truck so I can get out of here.” Tucker said waving his hand in front of himself to prompt them to move.

He got in his truck, started it and sped down the road headed for home. It was about a twenty minute drive to his house from the construction site, and for some reason they seemed like the longest twenty minutes of his life. Not even the music on the radio was making him feel any better, and it usually does.

‘Good grief, hurry up already.’ He said to himself, running his hands through his hair as he sat at the stoplight waiting for the light to change.

Finally the light changed and he could proceed. As soon as he pulled up in his driveway his cell phone started to ring. He knew exactly who it was, his buddy Marlon calling to see if he has changed his mind about going out tonight. Going out during the week isn’t something he normally does, even if it is a Thursday night. He works very hard and he needs his rest. All he wants to do right now is go in the house, take a long hot shower and dive into his king size bed.

            “Yea.” He answers grumpily. 

            “Hey Tuck, have you changed your mind about tonight?” Marlon asked.

            “No.” He said as he got out of the truck and walked into the house.

He knew for a fact Marlon wasn’t going to let this rest, so he was preparing for it. They’ve been friends for ten years and he has always been a persistent bastard.

            “What do you mean no? Come out with me, it’s not like you have anything better to do. Sitting at home stuffing your face while watching reruns of 1000 Ways to Die on the DVR isn’t my idea of a good time.”

            “Oh shut up! I’m beat man. It’s been one hell of a week.”

            “Don’t give me that. Get in the shower, put on some clean clothes and meet me at the club.”