Chapter 8

The elite ship was filled with the best and strangest of the army, which meant the bravest and most foolish of the Namya side. Not much parted people in the corridors because of this, but the current expression on Ryraso's face made everyone hurry out of his way. Ryraso moved with a stride which suggested he had a purpose which was not going to be stopped for anything, his footsteps seeming to echo in the corridors.

His expression to most of the crew was terrifying. Which was why despite the burning curiosity which was spreading, no one dared to ask him where he was going or stopped him as he headed to the command centre.

The room was only for the top commanders and generals of the army and crew, where Inai would contact Loror to discuss whatever he needed to. It was one of the most technologically advanced rooms on the ship. Ryraso didn't like it. It smelt wrong in there. Technically he was allowed in there, but with Tai'ray often taking it as a chance to taunt and insult him, Ryraso avoided it as often as he could.

Still, this was a situation that needed to be addressed. Aw'endo should never had been able to make it this far. The Winglord was supposed to protect and look after all of his people. Both those who fought in the army and those who still remained in Navat and the rest of the k'nairi lands.

People were their own beings and Tai'ray could not be responsible for the thousands and thousands of k'nairi, but he was at least supposed to be able to keep an eye on people in his own 'inner' circle. Something Aw'endo was supposed to be as Tai'ray's adoptive son, unless Tai'ray had disowned him after Ryraso had left. After all, Tai'ray had never desired a child and had taken on Aw'endo for Ryraso.

If Tai'ray was human, he might have disowned the youngling but Ryraso doubted it given he was k'nairi. The k'nairi looked after their young fiercely as a long-lived race with few children. Few crimes were seen as worse than harming a child in k'nairi society.

His entrance was not dramatic, but it was hard to be when they had sliding doors. The doors slid open to reveal the two leaders arguing with each other. At his appearance they both paused, Inai turning to face him, Loror looking over at him from the view-screen on the front of the room.

"Is there something you need to tell me, Doctor?" Inai asked, his voice tense but also grateful for the intrusion. It gave him time to prepare the next argument to his enemy. In the four years since Ryraso had originally met the young leader, he hadn't changed much. His nature was still the same and his appearance while slightly more refined was still clean and handsome. Inai did now sport a scar on his left cheek reaching under his left ear now.

"You, sort of," Ryraso allowed as he walked into the room and over so he was next to Inai. "Mostly I'm here to rip the ear off of Winglord Tai'ray," growled Ryraso ferally, everything from the tone of his voice to his posture radiating anger.

Inai opened his mouth to say it could wait, but paused as he saw how angry Ryraso was. Not only angry but calm angry. Whatever Ryraso had to say to the Winglord was serious. Wordlessly, he gestured to the screen.

Loror who had been watching with interest quietly switched places with Tai'ray, apparently curious as to why the healer wanted to talk to the k'nairi. Ryraso wasn't sure if Loror knew about him. They had only met once on Navat and had never formally been introduced to each other, and with how Tai'ray acted sometimes it was hard to tell.

Tai'ray appeared on the screen, standing proud, not afraid of the doctor though admittedly that was easily said when they were talking over computer screens. He did look very surprised and a touch confused at Ryraso's demand to talk to them though.

"The twins have just dragged a k'nairi off the battlefield on sweep duty. He had been unconscious when they found him, suggesting he had been there since the end of the battle," Ryraso reported, his voice calm, but his expression revealing he was barely holding on from yelling obscenities. All he wanted to do was scream at the birdbrain for allowing this to happen.