Chapter Five

Hey everyone! I hope you're ready for this next chapter. It is a shorter one, so I apologize for that, but I hope you enjoy it regardless. Please leave feedback in the comments. P.S. - I included a photo of Christian at the top because I've missed him so much!

All my love,

RelentlessChaos

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gemma and Christian cooked dinner while I watched Niall rock both of the twins. I stared at the view, soaking in as much as I could, as much as my anxious mind allowed. He was a great father, just as I knew he would be. Fatherhood, changing diapers, comforting crying children: It seemed to come so natural to him. It was as if he had been waiting his whole life for this moment.

"Ariella, food's done," Christian spoke with chicken in his mouth.

I laughed, "Well I hope we're able to eat before you consume it all."

He shrugged, "I'd say you have a 50-50 chance of scoring a plate."

I missed that. I missed the times where Gem was my sidekick and we were together all the time. I wouldn't trade my life now for anything, but I liked to reminisce. I was incredibly thankful that she'd taken as many opportunities as she could to spend time with the twins and me. She was getting very serious with Christian and I knew how much that impacted the routine of friendships. Niall and I were the biggest examples that I could think of. There was nothing particularly slow about our relationship at all.

My thoughts were interrupted by the loud clanking of silverware against glass cups.

"Attention all, come eat," Christian announced.

I took the twins from Niall's arms so that he could eat and he gave me a grateful smile followed by a kiss on the cheek. I sat on the couch and nursed the twins until they were satisfied. I watched as both sets of eyes drooped and struggled to stay open. I smiled at their resistance of sleep. They were strong-willed just like Niall was. A few more minutes passed and they were snoozing away. I took the opportunity to take the babies to the nursery and put them in their cribs. I grabbed a baby monitor and made my way back to the dining room.

I sat next to Niall and was met by another kiss on the cheek.

"You two are the most affectionate married couple I've ever seen," Christian joked.

Gemma rolled her eyes jokingly, "Oh, come on. They're still in their lovey-dovey, honeymoon phase. It'll wear out eventually."

"Never," Niall said.

I chuckled and began to eat the food that Gem and Christian prepared. The rest of the night was spent catching up and dreaming about old times.

"I sure do miss Louis publicly embarrassing you at any chance he got," Christian spoke up.

I rolled my eyes and laughed along.

"He's a character, that's for sure. I don't miss being embarrassed but I miss that kid."

"Kid? He's older than you!" Niall said.

Gemma started laughing uncontrollably and slapping her hand on the table.

"What?" I asked.

"Ariella, do you..." She laughed between her words, "Do you remember Garrett? Come on, I know you do!"

My face turned red as I internally cringed. Niall huffed and crossed his arms. Gemma, however, still thought it was incredibly hilarious.

"Oh man. That was the funniest thing in my lifetime. It was literally a war between bands. One Direction versus The Maine... Tune in next Saturday at 8:00pm to see the winner. Are you #TeamNiall or #TeamGarrett? Take the poll online to see the results. Oh, Ariella, your life is so dramatic," Gemma said with tears in her eyes.

It got worse and worse. I couldn't believe she said the hashtags out loud.

"Why do you embarrass me like this, Gem?" I groaned.

Niall piped up, "Let's change the subject."

Everyone laughed at his response.

About an hour later, I felt myself get incredibly tired.

"What did you put in this food, Christian? Benadryl? I can't keep my eyes open," I told him.

I laid down on the couch to rest my eyes and ended up falling asleep to the sound of my own breathing. Deeper and deeper, sleep pulled me in.

I opened my eyes to loud screams and a dark room. I couldn't tell how much time had passed. This wasn't where I fell asleep. Niall was shaking me in a desperate attempt to wake me up. I couldn't understand any of his words when he yelled because he slurred them all together. He ripped the fabric on my shirt as he pulled me out of the bed. I stared at him with huge eyes as I struggled to understand him. It was almost as if he was speaking another language.

"What?" I repeated over and over again.

Gibberish.

"Niall, what's wrong? Why are you yelling?" I yelled over him.

He took a deep breath. His next sentence was very clear.

"The alarm is going off. Someone is in the house."

I was confused at his calm demeanor. One second ago he was screaming and unable to be understood. This time, when he spoke his words were smooth like honey. He motioned for me to follow him. So I did. He walked at such a slow speed that I kept bumping into his back. This frustrated him so he kept turning around to put a finger to my lips, telling me it was urgent that I be quiet.

"Where are the twins?" I asked.

"I need you to be quiet. They'll hear you."

"Who is 'they'?"

He ignored my question and kept his slow pace. He stopped in front of the door to the babies' room. I got nervous as he looked inside a window with bars on the door that wasn't there before.

"Niall, we didn't have a window built into that door," I said.

Still no response.

I got frustrated and stood in front of him, horrified at the sight before me. Through the bars, I saw Daisy rocking back and forth in the rocking chair, holding both of the twins.

I screamed and pulled at the bars. I pulled so much that it ripped the skin on my hands. I balled my bloodied fists up and beat them onto the bars and the glass behind them shattered, causing a loud noise. Daisy looked up from the chair and smiled at me.

"They're not yours anymore," She spoke calmly.

Her words sent me into a frenzy that I couldn't control.

Niall's voice grew louder and louder.

Ariella.

Ariella.

ARIELLA!

Wake up.

Wake up.

Wake up.

Wake up.

I felt a cold liquid on my face and sat up immediately from my position on the couch. Niall held me against his chest while I heaved. My hair was wet with sweat and my eyes with tears.

"It's not real. It was just a dream," He cooed into my ear.

More tears fell down my face.

It wasn't real. It was just a dream.