Chapter Three

Hi, lovelies. I know this chapter is short but the next chapter will be much longer for certain reasons. Also, there is an author’s note at the end of this chapter and I really think all of you should read it.

Book recommendation time! One of my dearest friends has a story and it would really mean a lot to me if you check it out. I’m not saying this because she’s my friend, but because it is honestly such a great story with so much potential. All I’m asking is that people will give it a chance. My friend’s username on Wattpad is @80smovie and her story is called “Joey Michaels Will Die”. If you have seen the movie John Tucker Must Die, you will surely love her book! You don’t have to, but I definitely recommend that you check her story out. If you do read it, please leave her feedback as well.

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter Three

Just as any mother would, I stayed anxious and frightened every day since I got the phone call from Mr. Bauffley. After days of constant changing our minds and then changing them again, Niall and I decided to let my grandparents visit. We wanted to do anything we could to avoid a trial. A trial meant possibility, a possibility that the ruling could go in my favor or in theirs. I would do anything to keep the odds in my favor.

We scheduled a meeting and a month had passed. My grandparents, whom I had never met, would be arriving at my house tonight. Niall and I accumulated quite a crowd over the past weeks. People kept coming to our house to make sure we were okay and to lend their support and it was much appreciated. I was most grateful that there was no information of this leaked to the media. This didn’t need any publicity. The twins were already popular enough.

The kids were starting to really develop their personalities. They smiled and giggled and liked to be in the company of one another. Evan was louder while Eva showed signs of being reserved. The two twins were so different from one another, already developing conflicting qualities. A little over one month old and they had already won the hearts of millions across the world. But of course they had my heart before they even existed.

It was because of my love for them that I was so afraid, terrified of the idea of having them away from me. Meeting my grandparents today put a feeling in my stomach that I had never felt before. I had been scared many times in my life before, but this put a new definition to the word scared. Anything that could jeopardize my relationship with my children was a threat, and a dangerous one at that. That was exactly what my grandparents were: threats. They were messing with fire and I was close to burning them.

My siblings, Harry and Gemma, extended their support tremendously, so tremendously that they too were here waiting to meet with my grandparents. When the news got to them, they played the roles of overprotective uncle and aunt very well. Harry seemed bothered to the core. He hadn’t been the same in weeks. This was affecting him just as deeply as it affected me.

Harry squeezed my knee to snap me from my thoughts.

“Hmm?”

“Don’t be scared. You can’t show them that you’re scared. It shows that they have power over you. Remember, Ariella, they have no power over you. They wanted nothing to do with you before they found out you have famous children. We can’t let them act like they control us.”

I smiled at the way he said us, because he truly meant it. Harry loved and when he loved, he did so deeply. He had a deep love for family.

“I’ll try not to be. It’s just nerve-wracking, you know? I can’t believe someone would even try to do this,” I told him.

He shrugged. “It doesn’t surprise me, honestly. People will do anything for a shot at fame, for a little attention. It’s natural for human beings to crave attention. People just go overboard. They’re your children, Ariella. You’re of age. We can flip this around on them. They can’t make you look like the bad guy for refusing their involvement in Evan and Eva’s lives.”

I smiled at his words. If anyone could uplift my mood, it was Harry. “Thank you, Harry. I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“Hey, this is coming from the guy who didn’t even like you when you first came here. Such a long time it’s been…”

He and I laughed for a while, ignoring the elephant in the room. I knew what he was doing. He was desperately attempting to make the both of us calm down a bit. I appreciated his attempts, but talking about it only made it worse for me. My entire body felt sickly, as if the weight of living was simply too much.

Niall walked into the living room with Eva in his hands.

“She wants Mum, I think,” He said, handing her to me.

“There’s nothing like a mother’s love,” Harry said.

Gemma snorted. “Harry, you sound like a cheap mother’s day card.”

He shrugged. “Those words came from the heart.”

As I held Eva in my arms, Gemma rocked Evan back and forth in hers. Thoughts of separation invaded my head again, making it nearly impossible for me not to cry. My eyes watered and I held Eva a little closer to me, hoping that my arms could be the strength needed to keep my kids safe.

“Ariella,” Gemma said.

Harry held his arm out to stop her. “Gemma, no. She needs to let it all out.”

He spoke so quietly but it was as if my bones could feel his words. This wasn’t even my heart breaking. This was everything collapsing inside me. My heart broke a long time ago. This was pressing down on my lungs, forcing me to gasp for air just so I could breathe. I never understood how deep a mother’s love was before, but I understood it all too well now. If this was a test, I didn’t understand the reason.

Some people were simply not good. They were hollow and had evil intentions. Then again, I knew that not every person was born with a conscience. Some people felt empowered by the suffering of others, and I guessed that my grandparents were those types of people.

I never knew true fear until I heard a knock on my door that day.

 -----------------------------

AUTHOR’S NOTE: Hi. I wanted to say something really quick. I hope you don’t mind a long author’s note. I hope today was a good day for all of you. If not, don’t worry, there are more days to come. I just hope that each of you can find something good within each day. That’s how I got through a lot of stuff I’ve been dealing with. There’s a reason you woke up this morning, just as there was a reason for every day you woke up before. Don’t belittle yourself because the world is big. The world is huge, but why should that mean that you are insignificant? You make up the world. You are the world. Every thing that you do and every decision you make has an effect whether you realize it or not. This is your life, and it’s the only one you get, so live it.

Regarding my encouraging message, I just felt the need to say that. We all have these issues that we hold inside us. We have problems that make us feel unworthy and insignificant, but that isn’t the case at all. Our problems and mistakes do not define us. If you want a fresh start, do it. Start over and be the person that you want to be. You are so lovely.

I wish all of you knew how much you mean to me.

Love, RelentlessChaos <3