Chapter Two: How Does One Start A Conversation?

Somebody to You
The Vamps
________________________________

"You made her laugh?" Remus asked, suddenly amazed.

"I'm just as amazed as you are, Moony! I never thought it would happen!" Sirius laughed, his grey eyes bright with happiness.

"What about Marlene?" Peter asked, confused.

"What do you mean, 'what about Marlene'?" Sirius asked, his smile slowly fading.

"Well, you're dating her, aren't you?" Peter's eyebrows came together as he asked the question.

"Bloody hell, Wormtail!" Remus laughed, shaking his head.

"I'll take that as a no." He sighed, sitting down on his bed.

"Guys, do you know what this means?" James asked, a mischievous grin spreading over his face.

"What?" The other three asked in unison, one of them slightly concerned.

"Padfoot has to keep his record clean, now." James laughed, knowing it would be a struggle for his friend.

"What'd you mean?" Sirius demanded, suddenly defensive.

"He means you have to be careful about what you do. Like at parties you probably shouldn't go off and snog some random girl in the corner, or flirt with everyone, that kind of stuff." Remus explained, his laughter subsiding.

"Right." Sirius nodded, making a promise to himself that he'd be careful from now on.

He sat down on his bed, nervous for the next mornings classes. What if he didn't have any classes with Kara? What if they didn't see each other at all? He shook his head. No they would see each other at meal times, and in passing, and in the common room. Everything would work out. It had to.

***

The next morning Kara found herself nervous to leave her dormitory. She was the first of the four of them up, something that was rare. She sighed, unpacking her uniform, and hurrying off to the dormitory lavatories.

She readied herself for the day as quickly as possible, grabbing her dragonskin bag from next to her bed before going down to the common room. She was hoping she wouldn't run into him, but you could never be sure when he'd be awake. Kara shook her head, dismissing him from her thoughts.

She walked over to one of the windows, looking out at the rain. Leaning against the window frame, she opened her bag, pulled out her personal reading book, and decided to wait for Lily or Alice. The alarms they had set had gone off while she was gathering her books, meaning they should have been down in the common room fairly quickly, but that wasn't the case.

Kara sighed, pushing her dark brown hair out of her eyes. She had decided it best to just go to breakfast, most of the other Gryffindor's were forming a line out the portrait hole, so she definitely wouldn't be alone. Kara stuffed her book back into her bag, and followed behind her housemates.

She slid her thumb over the screen of her phone, unlocking it, and sent Lily a text. A shoulder rammed into hers, slightly pushing her forward and knocking the phone from her hand.

"Watch it, would you!" She turned around, her gold eyes meeting with a pair of grey ones.

"Sorry, Greenwright. Didn't see you there. You may want to pick that up before it gets stepped on." Sirius gave her a sly grin, pushing past her and down the stairs.