𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

The truck was big and bulky but it moved through the onslaught of cars with the swiftness of a gazelle. The radio blasted Green Day, and we sang along to the lyrics, heat warming us through the vents. I sipped my hot chocolate that we picked up in a random gas station cities back, the still-warm liquid soothing my coldness.

My brother looked at me with that thousand-watt smile. "You excited, El?"

I grinned just thinking about it. Soon, we'd be at the biggest science convention in the country and it was all thanks to my brother. I could feel the excitement radiating through me, warming my body up even more than the hot chocolate did, as I thought about the astronomy and planet stations I would get to see. About the people I would get to meet.

"Of course I am," I exclaimed, nudging his shoulder with my hand. "This is the best thing to happen to me!"

Theo looked pleased, hazel eyes twinkling as he turned down Linkin Park. "I'm glad," he said. "You deserve something like this. Especially since soon I'm going to be enlisting..."

He trailed off; talking about the military was a sore subject. I pursed my lips. Theo has always spewed on about how being in the military was his calling, his civic duty to the people of this nation, and while I understood--and supported it--it didn't make it any less hard to hear about it. Like, I knew he always had a hero complex--always beating up the bullies in school and saving girls from aggressive jocks--but now it's getting serious since he's enlisting after he graduates next year.

"We'll make it the best trip ever," I told him. "Something we'll never forget. Not even when we're old and senile and our kids throw us out because we shit everywhere."

Theo laughed, a melodic sound that seemed to lighten up the cloudy skies outside as well as the atmosphere in the truck. I chuckled along with him, the subject from before forgotten.

"And who knows?" he asked with a shrug. "Maybe my future wife will be here?"

"Doubt it."

Theo rolled his eyes. "Always crushing my dreams, El. Uncool, man. Uncool."

"It's payback for all the times you shooed boys away from me."

"Those guys were all assholes, sis," he replied with a whine. "They weren't good for you. When you find the right man--notice how I said man and not boy--then I might approve."

"Yeah," I rolled my eyes, "I'm sure that'll happen."

Theo looked offended as he slowed down to let a Camry pass. "I'm serious, dude. Bring me the right man, and I will pass judgement."

"You're insane." I shook my head, but my lips quirked. "An absolute nutter."

"Whatever." He dismissed me with a wave, eyes focused on the road. "You'll thank me later, El."

I doubted that since he was basically taking away my rights as a teenage girl. Say what you will ladies, but overprotective brothers were not cool. Don't believe what anyone tells you about them. Theo sent glares to any guy who even spared a glance at me and with his big frame and wild eyes, the boys usually never even bothered being in the same area as me. Talk about agonizing.

We drove on the interstate for quite some time before pulling off onto a more secluded route that would lead us south, to Colorado. It was the back way, something Theo thought we should take since I-84 was getting a little backed up with merry travelers. Holidays were coming up, after all.

The weather got worse the farther we continue and thunder boomed around us as lighting cracked through the sky. Theo had to turn the wipers on all the way to stop the onslaught of rain. A rock band I never heard of was echoing throughout the cabin of the truck. I fiddled with my phone, sending a quick text to both my mom and my group chat of friends to let them know we were doing okay.