𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨

Ironhide loves me.

Ironhide loves me.

Ironhide loves me.

The revelation hits me like a sack of bricks. The air is knocked from my lungs. I lean against the cool glass behind me, staring blankly ahead. Tears stream down my face.

Cliffjumper says nothing.

Ironhide loves me.

Disgust is the first emotion. The sharp pain in my head from earlier must have resulted in it, must have made it where I lean towards repulsion. Starscream must have done something, because it is shoved aside by the heartbreak that shatters my bones from the inside; that must have been the first reaction before Starscream jumbled everything in me up.

It rattles me. Ironhide said he loved me and I said I was disgusted by him--that I wished I had never met him. For him to say he loves me despite that brings bile to my throat and I vomit on the floor.

Later, they come for me.

I don't know how long it is, but the stench of acid is making my nose twitch, my eye water more than it was.

They gag at what I've done, but I can't find it in me to care when big, burly men who all wear Ironhide's face come and grab me by the arms, chaining the enhanced shackles to my feet as well.

I don't resist, let them pull me roughly through the door and out into the base. They walk me towards a hangar, where the transportation no doubt waits to take me to Purgatory.

The tears continue falling down my face, even as they push me towards the armored vehicle and into the back of it. No sobs escape, but the misery is endless.

I knew I wasn't good enough, that there was more Starscream than Eleanor in me, but to see the sullen, defeated expression on Ironhide--on Ron--as he said those words made it that much worse. Made it real.

Starscream's laughter echoes in my head, vicious and shrill. No longer can he infiltrate it--something I still don't know how he did in the first place--but the remnants of his laughter rings like a reminder. One that tells me I'll never be rid of him. We are one in the same, now. Two halves. One whole.

There is a lot of talking, most of it from Galloway and Secretary Carter. I tune it out, stare blankly at Mom, who is crying.

At Dad, who is red-eyed and somber.

Prime, who bears no expression.

So many faces but Ironhide is nowhere to be seen. Something pierces my heart, and I wince.

You're being too weak, Cliffjumper scoffs in my head, the sympathy from before long gone. Too hard on yourself. You did what you had to. It's better if you go alone. It's a dangerous trip.

And you think me, a human, is more suited to take it over a Cybertronian? I roll my eyes. How am I to trust you, anyway? What if you're not even Cliffjumper, but Starscream? You could be using me to get out of here and when I'm out, who's to say that you won't lead me right back to where I came from?

I am the one who shoved Starscream out of your head, he says, sounding exhausted as he does so. If anything you should be thanking me.

Thanking you? A laugh almost escapes, but I refrain because Galloway already has a glare trained on me.

"Did you hear anything I said, Miss Cambridge?" he asks when I glance at him.

It takes a moment, but I shake my head. "No, sorry. Would you like to repeat it? It's a bit hard to hear over Starscream in my head. You understand, don't you?"