𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

Birds fly out of the trees and Ron grunts and throws his hands over his ears, sending the woman a glare. She smiles sweetly at him. "Oh, hello, Ron. Sorry about that. I see you and Eleanor made up. Good for you, sweetie." Mom turns to me and there's a ferocious gleam in her eyes. "As for you. . ."

I'm using the swing as support, my hand clenching tightly on the chains that connect it to the ceiling. My legs are shaking but I'm not sure if it's from fear or the fact that they can't seem to support me well today. I don't let Mom know, though. Heaven knows what she'd do if she caught a glimpse of this. I muster up the best smile I can.

"Mom, hey," I greet sheepishly. Dad and Will come out, looking utterly terrified for me. I can almost hear what they'll say at my funeral.

"Don't 'hey' me, young girl!" Mom grips my arm tightly. "What in the hell are you doing out here?! I specifically told you to stay in bed, Eleanor!"

"But, Mom," I say, hoping I don't sound like I'm whining but knowing I am anyway, "it's Monday."

"Do I look like I give a rat's ass about the day, Eleanor Jane?!" Her hazel eyes are molten with rage. I can also see the concern swimming deep in there but it's covered by all the anger.

I sigh. "No." It was worth a try though.

"Upstairs, now!"

Dad intervenes. Never have I been so glad for him in my life. "Now hold on, Reagan. What's got you so distressed?"

"Distressed?!" My mom huffs out a disbelieving laugh. She lets go of my arm to whirl around on Dad. "I'm not distressed, Owen! I'm worried--and pissed as hell but we can talk about that later. As for right now, we need to get Eleanor upstairs!" Mom flails her arms at me and it's weird seeing her like this--all flustered up. It looks weird, especially since she's still her her pants suit with her hair pulled back in a tight bun.

I want argue with her and tell her that my back and legs aren't aching anymore (they are just not as much as earlier) but words don't come easy to me for some reason and I stand there, gripping the chain and wondering if the world could just split open and swallow me whole. Anything to stop this mortification.

Ron and Will stare at my family and Will looks like this is a normal occurrence for him--which it is. Ron looks like he's three seconds away from either attacking or bolting, I'm not sure which. Not too sure if I want to find out either.

"Why does Ellie need to go upstairs?" Dad asks. "Why isn't she in school, Reagan?"

Mom rolls her eyes as though this is obvious. Dad flinches back as though burned. "Are you really this dense, Owen Gerald?! Or do you just forget things too easily?! I swear--how did I get stuck with you as a husband?"

Dad really looks like he did something wrong and I assume he did--Mom only uses our middle names when she's especially irate. He glances at me for help and I pray he understand what I mean when I glance down to his legs. No need to make him suffer for being a complete dolt.

His eyes widen. "Oh! I see." Dad frowns at me. "But I thought you were all better?"

I shrug. "It comes and goes."

Will's face slackens like he just grasped what we were discussing and he sends me a sympathetic gaze. Ron grunts, obviously disliking the fact that he's in the dark. I don't enlighten him, though. It's already embarrassing enough.