One Big Family

A couple of days later, after the news sank in that we were engaged, we decided it would be a good idea to tell our families! We sent an owl out to mum and dad, and Neville's gran, Augusta, inviting them over for lunch the following Sunday. Thankfully dad had taught us to cook properly as we were growing up, so I was able to whip up a nice roast chicken, with all the trimmings. It was also one of Neville's favourite meals! It wasn't the first time I had met Augusta. In fact we got on really well, and she was still a big part of Neville's life, even after he moved in with me. After all, she was the only family he had left these days, and neither of us wanted to lose her. There had been a close call back in the second wizarding war when the Ministry, under You-Know-Who's control, had sent a couple of aurors after her, hoping to scare her, and Neville, into toeing the line. 

        "Thing was they bit off a bit more than they can chew with Gran. Little old witch living alone, they probably thought they didn't need to send anyone particularly powerful. Anyway, Dawlish is still in St. Mungo's and Gran's on the run." Neville had said at the time.

Gran turned up first [she insisted I call her Gran, along with Teddy too, seeing as he was such a big part of our lives]. 

        "Good afternoon, you're looking very well today, Athena." [She also insisted on using my first name]. She kissed me on the cheek and I took her coat, sending her into the front room, where Neville was already. Just as I was about to sit down, the doorbell rang again. It was mum, dad and Teddy. When we were all sat down, and Teddy was off drawing at the table, we began.

        "Ok, Gran, Andromeda, Ted. We have some news for you," said Neville. "I asked Megs to marry me and she said yes." At that moment, I couldn't see anything, as mum and Gran had flung their arms round me, congratulating me. Dad was shaking hands with Neville, they were all so pleased for us, which was a bit of a relief. I know we all got on well, but you never know how these things could go! As we sat down to lunch, dad raised his glass and called for a toast. Teddy raised his too, but he only had apple juice in his glass.

        "To Megan and Neville, and our big, happy family. Cheers!" he said.

Later that evening, after they had all gone home, we both flopped down onto the sofa.

        "Well that went alot better than expected," I said, smiling.

        "There is only one more thing we need to do, before we tell everyone else," said Neville. "Tell my parents."

        "Absolutely," I replied. "When would you like to go?" I loved Alice and Frank. We had been to see them so many times together over the years, and even though it seemed as though they didn't recognise either of us, I hoped they enjoyed our visits to St Mungo's. "But first, we sleep," I told my gorgeous fiance.

        "Do we have to sleep?" he grinned, grabbing me round the waist.

        "You'll have to catch me first," I laughed, running up the stairs, Neville hot on my heels.