They Always Come In Threes

It was October now. Neville had gone back to work at the school and I had left work at Zonkos. George said he had hired a couple of extra members of staff to take over, especially since Angelina had had the baby. A gorgeous little boy called Fred, named after his amazing uncle, who sadly he would never meet. I was ok with it, I mean, it's not as if I will starve. My dad's family were pretty well off, so when my gran passed away a couple of years ago, dad said I could have his inheritance as he had plenty of things. Neville and I would need it more than him and mum.

        "Merlin's beard, look at the time," I thought to myself. Hermione and Ginny would be here in a minute. We tried to meet up once a month for coffee, especially now Ginny had James. I know how life can get in the way and 6 months can fly by before you realise you haven't seen each other. DING DONG. Argh, the doorbell. I jumped and my glass of apple juice went flying all down my top.

        "Hey guys, come on in," I said, opening to the door for Ginny and Hermione. "Oh yeah, don't worry about my top."They were looking at my soaked chest. "I threw apple juice everywhere!" I laughed.

        "Oh you muppet," giggled Hermione, walking past me, into our open plan kitchen. The dining area was gorgeous. Comfy dining chairs, large table, bay windows which opened into the back garden.

        "Oh, he is getting so big now. Ginny got James out of the sling she was carrying him in and lay him on a blanket I had set up next to the table. 

        "He is a little monkey," she replied, smiling. "Although I think he will be crawling soon."

        "Aww, aunty Hermione will teach you all sorts of tricks to play on your mummy and daddy," cooed Hermione.

        "And aunty Ginny will get her own back when you have your own kids," Ginny chuckled.

        "Now now, ladies," I laughed. "You know if they get too cheeky, you can always send them over to aunty Megan's. I can entertain them by being a different person each time! Speaking of which, do either of you know much about metamorphmagi? It's just that for the last few weeks, I haven't been able to change as easily as normal. I tried to give myself pink hair the other day and it just wouldn't work."

        "I don't know sweetie,"said Hermione. "Could you be coming down with something?"

        "Well funny you mention that, I've been feeling sick the last couple of weeks. I also think I am putting on weight."

        "You too, huh?" Hermione smiled. "I haven't been eating properly for a week or so now, just can't manage it. Certain smells make me feel so ill." We both looked over at Ginny, who was sat looking at us, wide eyes. "What?"

        "That's exactly how I felt when I was pregnant with James. You don't think........" We all looked at each other. 

10 minutes later, Hermione had convinced us to let her go to a muggle shop and buy us all a pregnancy test. (Ginny wanted to try one so she didn't feel left out!).

        "Want a drink, chick?" I asked Ginny as she started giving James his lunch.

        "Yeah go on, I wouldn't say no to a nice cold glass of fruit juice."

Hermione came back and opened the bag she had in her hand.

        "Ok," she said, reading the instructions. "You take the lid off, pee on this end, then we wait for 3 minutes. Who's going first?"

        "I will," I said. I figured I may aswell go first, after all I was the one who brought this topic up. Hermione went into the bathroom after me, and then Ginny last. 

        "Urgh, this waiting lark is driving me crazy," Hermione said. "I'm just too impatient." PING

        "That was the egg timer. Ok, lets have a look, they should be ready now." We turned over the stick which was in front of each of us.

Neville

        "I can't believe it's Christmas again already," I said, as Harry and I sat down in the Three Broomsticks.

        "I know," he replied. "It's gone so fast."

        "Can I ask  you something? Don't laugh or anything, but I don't know where else to turn." Harry could see that something was really bothering me.

        "Of course you can. Neville, you're one of my best friends. Ask me anything."

        "Ok, well you know Megs is pregnant..."

        "Yeah, along with Hermione and Ginny. Hormone central!" Harry joked.

        "Well, you've been through all this before, when Ginny had James. I'm just worried that - " I struggled to find the right words. "I'm just worried that I won't be a good dad. I'm worried I will be clumsy and useless, that I won't bond with the baby. I won't know what to do. I'm scared. Don't get me wrong, I am so so pleased that Megs is pregnant, I can't wait to be a dad, but I don't know if I can do it."

Harry sat there, listening to every word I said.

        "Neville," he said, slowly. "You aren't going to be a bad father, I promise. I had the exact same worries when Ginny was pregnant the first time. When you look into your child's eyes for the first time, when you hold him in your arms and he takes hold of your finger, your worries will melt away and all you will be able to think about is that little life you helped created, the new person in your arms. Yes, there will be sleepless nights, but you and Megs are amazing and I know you will be the best parents."

        "Are you sure?" I was still nervous, unsure, worried.

        "I promise. Come on, we better get back, or the girls will tears us apart!"

I laughed, feeling better about everything.

Back at home, Megs and Ginny had lunch cooking and were sat with their feet up, discussing baby names. Hermione and Ron were upstairs, Hermione still had morning sickness and wasn't coping so well. Ron was holding her hair back.

        "Mione ok?" Harry asked.

        "Yeah, she smelt something, which set her off. She'll be down in a minute," Megs replied. "You boys ok?"

        "Definitely," I smiled. I did feel better about everything. I smiled and kissed my beautiful wife. "I love you so much," I whispered.

She looked into my eyes, smiling.

        "I love you too."