seven

The old floorboard creaked under her feet as she snuck down the long hallway

Even with a candlestick as her only source of light, she easily found her way to his room like she had several times before.

Spread out on his side, his electric blue eyes gazed at the stars through the glass of the window. He wanted nothing more than to fall asleep, but he knew he had to stay awake.

She twisted the doorknob and quietly entered the room. Her voice called out to him, barely a whisper, but he heard it perfectly clear.

Damon sat up in the bed, rubbing at his tired eyes.

"Come on," Penelope nodded her head towards the door. "Hurry up, we're gonna miss it."

-

They had snuck out the back passage of the hotel and made their way up onto the roof. They ignored the cool autumn breeze that sent shivers down their spines.

"Look, right there!" She bit her lip, pointing a manicured finger at two shadowy figures in the distance. "They meet there every night at this time. They never stay long. My guess is that her parents don't want them together."

"You watch them every night?" Damon questioned, eyebrows raised.

"You're making it sound creepy. They're forbidden to be together which should make it easier to stay away but only makes it harder." She leant her head on his shoulder. "All I have ever wanted is to be loved."

"Take it from someone with a lot of experience," he let out a sigh, "love really isn't as great as you think."