chapter one ; betrayal

c h a p t e r     o n e

The room was relatively silent, with the crackle on the hearth and a sense of disbelief in the air, as though everyone had not quite fully comprehended that the nightmare they had been living in for the past months had finally concluded. The bloodshed, the deaths, the losses...incomprehensible. 

Finally, unable to stand the depressing, grave silence any longer, Hephaestus looked to Zeus for permission to begin the honouring ceremony. With a flourish of his robes, Zeus inclined his head and acquiesced.

"My son, Leonidas Valdez!" Hephaestus boomed. 

Leo nervously walked to the front of the council, fidgeting with a few bolts he had taken out of his magical tool belt. When he reached his father's throne, he got down on one knee. 

"During the war, you displayed immense bravery, creative use of fire, thinking and conscientiousness. For your effort, we, the council of Major Gods, will bestow upon the title of minor God of tinkering, flames, and Pyrokinesis. Do you accepted this offer?" Zeus bellowed. 

Leo cast an excited glance at the rest of the Seven. "I accept." He said. 

Zeus flicked his wrist and a white streak of light burst out from within his palm, hitting Leo for a millisecond. Blinding pain struck Leo, and for a brief moment, all he could see was black. He nearly collapsed under the raw energy which coursed through his veins, losing his balance as he wobbled unsteadily.

"All hail Leonidas Valdez, minor God of tinkering, flames, and Pyrokinesis." Hephaestus declared. 

He bowed once again to Hephaestus and Zeus, trying to regain his bearings while he stumbled his way back to his friends. When being awarded godhood, he had grown over two feet in height, now towering over his friends. 

"Piper McLean!" Aphrodite called out.

Piper walked to her mother's throne and bowed respectfully. 

"Piper McLean, for your bravery and smart of use of charmspeak to overcome difficulties and obstructions during your quest, we, too, offer you the title of minor Goddess of charmspeak, beauty and doves. Do you accept?"

"I accept," Piper said, her eyes betraying her hunger. When godhood was granted to her, she was unable to withstand the wave of energy, and crumbled to her knees. A few demigods quickly ran forward to support her as she struggled to grasp her newfound powers.

"All hail Piper McLean, minor Goddess of charmspeak, beauty and doves." Aphrodite announced proudly.

The list of demigods left to be rewarded- the Five from the prophecy of Seven as well as Nico and Reyna- diminished and dwindled. Jason became the minor God of lightning, storm spirits and wolves. Frank became the minor God of bloodshed, legacies and shape-shifting, Hazel became the minor Goddess of precious metals and jewels, as well as rebirth, Reyna became the minor Goddess of war, bravery as well as camp director of Camp Jupiter, Nico became the minor God of Death, skeletons and grudges. 

"Annabeth Chase!" Athena called out. 

Annabeth walked with her shoulders held back to the middle of the throne room, bowed to Zeus before kneeling at her mother's feet. 

"Rise, my daughter." Athena said warmly. 

Annabeth stood unsteadily and kept her head bowed. "Annabeth Chase, for your loyalty, bravery, smart use of logic, and most of all, because of your strategic battle plans, we were able to win the war. We offer you godhood and the official title of Architect of Olympus. Do you except?"