chapter three ; Hecate's disciple

c h a p t e r t h r e e

"First, let's break this news to your mom." Hecate began, taking a seat on the couch and with a flick of her wrist, comfortable pillows were piled alongside her. She fiddled with the ends of the pillow while she thought of how to break this to a probably distraught mother. However, that was not the case. Percy was rather perplexed at what just happened in the past few minutes that his brain stopped working. He was feeling a lot of emotions at the moment, but he suppressed it and plastered on his usual personality. He rarely saw his mom, he didn't want to spend the time he had with her complaining about how shitty his life was going. Sure, he got betrayed. Cast out of Olympus. But shit happens, and he needed to pull himself together if he wanted to get revenge and seek justice for himself.

When Sally Jackson came out of the kitchen, she simply looked at the two occupants in the room before heaving a sigh. "What did you do this time, Percy?"

Percy had a look of offense plastered on his face. "Why do you always assume that its solely my fault?" Sally walked over to the couch and ruffled Percy's hair.

"Trouble follows you everywhere you go, Percy. It's one of your idiosyncrasies."

"What's idio-idiosynk-oh, forget it."

The playful atmosphere soon turned serious when Hecate cleared her throat. "Sally Jackson, I believe?" Sally nodded her head, wary of the direction this was heading. "And you are, my lady...?" she asked in a respectful tone, knowing this was a goddess but just unsure of which goddess exactly. But if it was who she suspected...

"You know me as Hecate. Goddess of Magic, Sorcery, Witchcraft, Crossroads, Trivial Knowledge, Necromancy, and Ghosts. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe you know me from somewhere else aside from the Greek mythology world, Ms. Jackson-Riddle. And with that said, I believe its time to come out of hiding."

Sally had turned white as sheet and clammy pale. It wasn't evident, but living with one, especially your own mother, was one of the things Percy grew up seeing his mother do often. When Smelly Gabe came over with his friends, when he turned to the point of abusive...it could be seen in the slight tremor of her hands, of the way her knuckles turned white from her clenched fists, or of the way she tugged at the ends of her shirt as though covering the slightest bit more of skin would protect her from the physical or emotional upcoming blows.

"Just-just Jackson. I don't want any association with the name Riddle. I abandoned that name years ago when I linked my heritage to the man who was my biological father. And I can assure you, I want nothing to do with it. Please, Lady Hecate, with all due respect, the past is not meant to be carried forth into the future. It does nothing but bring along unwanted memories like excess baggage. Percy has successfully been kept into the dark for a long time, and I don't intend on changing that any time soon. It will bring nothing but gossips and whispers around. He doesn't need the additional burden of such a heavy weight and he already has enough on his shoulders, being involved in the Greek world. So, my Lady le Fay, don't involve him in a world that will only push his limits further."

Percy felt slightly overwhelmed. The conversation was heading into unfamiliar territory and he didn't understand. Was his mom part of some cult or something? Since when did Hecate change her name?

"Who's Riddle? What am I being kept in the dark about? What Morgan- who?" Percy asked, a tinge of frustration in his voice. Why did his life just consist of endless plot twists and turns?