chapter two ; Hera and Hecate

c h a p t e r      t w o

Waiting for the blast to send his world into oblivion, he startled at the force of a body colliding with his. 

Surprised and caught off guard, it only registered to him that he was still alive, after the person had teleported him back to his mom's apartment in Manhattan. Why was he here? He was already prepared to die and prepared to attempt the impossible- crawling back from Hades' realm to the mortal world to take his revenge on the ungrateful world who tossed him aside.

He turned around to look at his saviour, and his eyes widened when he saw who it was. Was he dreaming or was his saviour really...

...Hera?

They were both panting heavily. Percy could see the inner conflict in Hera's eyes and for the first time, he had no smart comment to spit at Hera. "Gods, Zeus is going to kill me for this if he ever finds out." Hera muttered. Percy stared at her with wide eyes. Hera had always expressed her distaste for him- so why had she saved him?

Hera looked at him in the eye. "Perseus, I am afraid there is no time to talk. I only have five minutes with you before it's too late." Hera spoke. 

"Percy, I'm sorry for the way I've treated you because of my biased viewpoint.  I thought of heroes as all the same, but now you've changed my perspective. I don't agree with Zeus's rule and his opinion of you. You've saved the world twice but never thought of asking gifts for personal gain. That is what a true hero is. I admit my actions and words have not been the kindest, but I have pure intentions. I believe you're different.

 You have proved countless of other demigods before you wrong. I believe that you will stay like this, you've proven me right for the past few years. Zeus has been blinded by his pride, and this is one of the many decisions I do not support, but have acted on it. Don't make me regret my decision."

Percy stared flabbergasted, not expecting this from Hera. The Goddess who seemed to hate him the most, suddenly so benevolent? He was starting to doubt himself and wondered if all this was a figment of his imagination, because the events that had occurred in the last five minutes were so...unreal.

Hera slapped him back into reality with the urgency in her tone. "Perseus, I don't have much time left before Zeus discovers that I'm gone. Right now, him and all the other Gods are under the impression that you are truly dead, and I am currently still in the throne room. That is all an illusion of the mist, cast by Hecate. This illusion will fade in about a minute, and I need to be back there before your existence gets discovered, and then you'll truly be gone for good." 

"I know you're meant for something greater, and this is not your time yet. When Zeus was deciding your sentence, I contacted Hecate and we set up this plan in a matter of minutes. I'm afraid I don't have much time left, and I'll leave you in her hands." Hera gasped out. 

"Don't argue with me on this, Percy. I need you to understand the importance of this. Hecate will continue from here. Follow her guidance, don't question her orders and stay low-key. I can't stay to talk, and I'll try to communicate with you soon. Don't do anything stupid.

Goodbye, Perseus." With that torrential downpour of words, Hera vanished and left a stunned Percy behind, trying to process her words.  

Had...had Hera really saved him? 

And...were those cookies he smelled?

Only Percy would think of cookies after a very near-death experience. But then again, it's Percy Jackson. When have we ever not questioned his life decisions? 

Percy was still slightly confused and confounded, but against his better judgement, decided not to question it. He turned around, but immediately let out a loud yelp and jumped into the air. It was quite the contrast from the previous red-eyed demigod who looked like hell-reincarnated.

"When did you even get here, Lady Hecate?" Percy asked, trying to pull off a nonchalent look to hide the fact that he was surprised.

Hecate stood there, unamused. Why did they save him again?

She sighed. "And of course, Hera had to leave me with the most difficult part of the job. Really? You expect the Wizarding race to depend on a boy who gets surprised despite prior warning? We're in for a lot of work."

Hey guys. Yes, I finally updated this book in a long time. Sorry about that. I had to change the plot a lot and deleted my previous draft because it didn't seem worthy of being published. This chapter is kind of like a filler chapter because it only has 800+ words and honestly, I planned on writing more. But I'm lazy hehe

I'm pretty surprised this book with only two parts managed to get nearly a thousand reads in a short period of time (well, shorter than the rest of my books). 

As of now, if you've read up to here, thanks for the reads and votes. I'll try to update this book more (another empty promise, I'm afraid) and thanks for not giving up on this book yet, despite the fact that updates take literally years to come.