Prologue

It was late, around 9 p.m., and Alexander Hamilton decided it was time for his son, Philip, to go to bed.

Philip sat between Alexander and his husband, John Hamilton, who was already asleep. They had been watching a movie, some Disney film Philip had convinced his fathers to let him watch that night. The movie was over, but Philip stalled, not ready for bedtime.

"Just five more minutes daddy, please?" He pleaded, clinging to sleeping John, but Alexander found it best to deny the request. Philip was young, only six years old, and the growing boy needs his rest.

"No Philip, come on," Alexander got out of bed, holding his arms out for Philip to climb into. Philip did, reluctantly.

Alexander carried Philip to his room, gently setting the boy on his bed, pulling the covers over him, pulling them up so that they completely covered Philip's small frame.

"Goodnight Pip," Alexander said, giving Philip a kiss on the forehead before walking away, ready to shut off the light before Philip spoke up.

"Daddy?" Alexander heard from behind him. He sighed, turning around, seeing Philip already sitting upright.

"Can you tell me a bedtime story?" He asked.

"Pip..."

"Please?" Alexander sighed, knowing Philip would be persistent, that he wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Okay," Alexander sighed heavily, pulling a chair close to Philip's bed. Philip's face brightened, turning to face Alexander, his legs dangling off the edge of his bed. "What story do you want me to tell you tonight?"

Philip's forehead scrunched, his eyes traveling off in thought. After a few moments they darted back to Alexander, bright with an idea. "Can you tell me how you and Papa met?"

Alexander chuckled, leaning back in his chair. "Sure Pip, but get ready, it's a long story."