Chapter 8: The Necklace

{Tw: ANGSTY STOOF}

John laid on the couch of the dorm room, staring up to the ceiling. The thoughts of childhood memories stuck in his head. It was only those memories. He could hardly remember anything else.

It was upsetting to him that he couldn't remember his closest friends, and what made it worst was the sleeping person that shifted beside him.

Alexander peered up at John with tired eyes. They television screen shined, lighting up the darkness of the room. "What's the matter?" He asked groggily. His voice echoed though the halls of the dorm room

John rubbed his eyes and yawned. "It's nothing." He said, followed by a reassuring smile. Alexander seemed to believe it, because his just nodded and laid his hair back down. "Alright.." He responded in a soft tone.

The two laid there for a moment together before they drifted off to sleep in each other's arms.

Fourteen-year-old John Laurens was on his way home, when he noticed something different. Everyday on his way home from school, his many younger siblings would be outside, running around the yard happily. There was just a few bikes and toys in the yard, and there was a tire swing on a tree that swung back and forth, as if it was just used.

John's eyebrows knitted together with confusion as he approched the wooden door, opening it. There wasn't anyone sitting in the living room either. "Weird.." And that's when it struck him.

Laurens dropped his bag at the door and rushed up the stairs, towards his mother's room. There he saw his younger siblings, gathered around his mother's bed.

Martha looked up at her older brother, craddling the youngest in her small arms.

Mary had just been born four weeks earlier, and because of that birth, his mother was growing weak. She could hardly stand from bed without collapsing again.

Martha looked at her two younger brothers and skootched them out of the room, leaving John and his mother alone.

Laurens slowly walked over to his mother, pulling up a chair beside the bed. Eleanor looked up at her oldest child with half lidded eyes. "Y-you're gonna be fine M-ma.." He stuttered.

Eleanor shook her head quietly, her voice to weak for her to speak. Very slowly, she moved her shaking hands to her neck, taking off a thin chain necklace. At the end, there was a green raindrop styled charm. Her shaking hands moved to her son's hand, holding it weakly in hers. With one last push, she croaked something quietly.

"..I love you, my John.."

She smiled softly as her eyes slowly shut, and her hand went limp.

"M-ma? H..hey, wake up"
John waved his free hand infront of her face. Tears pricked his eyes as he looked down towards his hand that was in her's.

John carefully moved his hand, looking down at the necklace in his palm with tears streaming down his face.

Laurens felt something shake him awake and jumped up startled, looking around. A hand wiped tears from his eyes carefully as he glanced over and met eyes with someone.

"What's wrong..?" Alexander asked in a worried tone. John paused a moment. 'Find it..' A voice in the back of his head spoke. 'Check the room..'

John nodded to the voice and stood up, walking into his and Alex's room. Alexander looked at his boyfriend in confusion, but tagged along. Whatever was going on with John, had to go away soon, right?

The voices had led John around the room, making him practically tear the room to pieces, just to look around for something. He didn't know what though.

Alexander watched from the doorway, as Laurens lifted his mattress. Underneath was a small wooden jewelry box. It looked old, like it had been passed down many generations.

John stared at the box, being drawn to it.

'That's it'

'Grab the box'

'It's inside'

'Do it'

John hesitantly reached his hand out, picking up the box. He lowered the mattress and placed himself on the floor.

Laurens watched the box as Alexander made his way over, sitting beside him. "...What is it..?" He asked, looking down at the wooden rectangle. "I don't know..." John responded, not looking up.

After a few minutes of sitting there, John's shakey hand slowly lifted the lid. He looked inside the box, then everything went black.

732 words

CLIFFHANGGERRRR-
SORRY FOR NOT POSTING
I'VE BEEN HAVING THE WORST WRITER'S BLOCK-
HAVE A NICE DAY!