Chapter Two {Edited}

Pineheart followed Weaseltail through the dense pine trees of IceClan's territory. Lionpaw hopped after them, her eyes still alight with happiness. Pineheart could remember when he felt like that. As a small apprentice learning the territory, there was always something to be excited about. And always something new to explore, he thought to himself

His father had told him that before he was born, the forest had went through a great thaw. The ice and snow of the sacred pine forest had almost completely gone, and left marshy swamps and massive mud puddles in its place.

Now, the ground was thick once more with a layer of ice under a large blanket of snow. Despite the frigid conditions, the foliage still managed to thrive. There was plenty of thick bushes and grasses for prey to live and survive. IceClan rarely had to go hungry.

As they continued on through the seemingly endless forest of trees, Weaseltail came to a halt and turned to his apprentice. "Okay, Lionpaw. I just want to remind you that when we get to the border you must control yourself. Just because there isn't another Clan of cats next to us, doesn't mean you should cross the scent markers."

Lionpaw rolled her eyes. "I was only trying to catch that rabbit," she meowed.

Weaseltail flicked his tail and looked at her sternly. "But there's other creatures that hunt beyond our territory! If a fox or a badger were to find you, I'm sure they'd think you'd be an easy meal."

Lionpaw shuddered as she imagined coming face to face with a fox or a badger. "Now don't go and frighten her," Pineheart muttered. Weaseltail didn't seem to hear him as he turned to lead the way through the forest once more. Suddenly, a loud racket erupted behind the small patrol. Leaves rustled and twigs snapped with wild abandon. Weaseltail whirled around and started to move forward to shield Lionpaw behind him.

"Mousedung!" a cranky voice hissed from the depths of the spiky wildflower bush. Pineheart relaxed as he picked up a familiar scent that had been ignored in their surprise. He moved forward to help the entangled cat.

"Nightvolt, what are you doing out here?" Weaseltail called as Pineheart started to pull back the branches so that the tom could escape the vicious thorns. He squinted and tried to discern the dark pelted tom from the shadows under the bush. He noticed the elder's yellow eyes flash with contempt.

"I can get myself out," he growled as he tried to turn in the tight space to free himself. His gray tabby fur was riddled with thorns and sharp bits of twig. Pineheart ignored his ill tempered reply and pushed further into the bush to help. He could feel the thorns hook into his fur, stinging like claws. "I'm only here to help you," Pineheart soothed as he clenched his teeth when branches lashed his muzzle.

"I told you I don't need help," he retorted as he flicked out a paw to swipe at Pineheart. The whole bush shuddered as Nightvolt shifted and made the thorns dig further into his skin. Clumps of snow that were perched carefully on leaves thumped down to the ground around them.

Nightvolt immediately stopped his struggle and started to whimper with pain. Blood dripped from where the branches had dug into his fur. "Just stop fighting and let me help you," Pineheart grunted as he inched closer to the elder. Once he was close enough to inspect the knots, he noticed the tom was covered in scratches. All along his back, the thorns and branches were entangled with his gray and black striped fur.

"I'm going to have to bite through your fur," Pineheart murmured as he stepped even closer.

"What's going on in there?" Weaseltail asked as he stuck his nose through the bush's branches.

"You IceClan warriors are mouse brained," Nightvolt huffed as Weaseltail attempted to push his way through the outermost branches. Pineheart flicked his tail, surprised at Nightvolt's unwarranted attitude. All I'm trying to do is help you, he fumed.