Chapter Five {Edited}

A few days passed after Frostfeather's chaotic dream. She made an effort to stay away from the vicinity of Brokensong's den, afraid that at any moment Nightvolt would leap out and attack her. She knew her irrational thoughts were silly. If only she could get the image of his crazed, yellow eyes out of her head.

She had left camp early, like she did almost every morning. As usual, not a single soul stirred as she slid through the camp entrance and ran out into the pine forest that surrounded her home. The icy breeze combed through her fur and sent shivers down her spine. She ran for some time before a familiar voice called out behind her.

"Frostfeather!" She jumped and turned around, her hackles raised. Amused green eyes met her gaze as a calico approached. What is Sweetmind doing out here?

"You don't have to be so jumpy! It's just us," Sweetmind purred. Her tail flicked to and fro as she padded closer to Frostfeather. Her fur still smelled of the musty moss of her nest. She must have followed Frostfeather after she had left camp.

"I'm not jumpy!" she snapped. She felt foolish that she let Sweetmind frighten her so easily. "I didn't even see anyone else leave camp," she pointed out. Sweetmind's eyes flashed playfully as she neared.

"You sure seem pretty jumpy," a different she-cat teased as she came to stand beside her companion. Appleleaf is here too, she thought in frustration. They stood so close, their pelts touched. Spotted calico merged with cream and brown striped fur. Of course the two sisters had left together. They were nearly inseparable.

"What are you two even doing out her anyways?" Frostfeather grumbled. She had hoped to have been able to hunt in peace, but that would be impossible while they hung around. They'd rather goof off than actually do something productive.

"We just wanted to go out on our own. Just like you do all the time," Appleleaf mewed as she shook out her cream colored fur. Sweetmind rolled her eyes at Frostfeather's ill tempered question.

Frostfeather flattened her ears, clearly irritated. "Well you aren't on your own if you're pestering me," she hissed. She whirled around and bounded away over the needle strewn snow. How annoying can they be, she grumbled.

The soft patter of pawsteps from behind told her that she was being followed. "Just leave me alone!" she growled. With a glance over her shoulder, she glimpsed a calico pelt. Sweetmind's scent still lingered in the air.

Why won't she leave me alone, she fumed. Now she had had enough! Frostfeather turned and reared back on her hind paws, ready to swipe at Sweetmind's muzzle. But she was surprised to find this was not Sweetmind. She had such lush, leafy green eyes; these were the color of sky, bright and blue down to their very depths.

"Aren't you happy to see me?" she asked, her voice soft. Starlight shimmered across her calico patches, quite like the strands of Silverpelt in the darkest night.

"I'm tired of surprises today!" Frostfeather snapped. Disappointment washed across Spottedrose's face. Frostfeather knew it wasn't the StarClan cat's fault, but her nerves were still frayed from her tedious omens.

"Well it's not every day that I get a chance to see you," Spottedrose countered. Inside, Frostfeather was happy to see her. But her absence from her life thus far made it hard to be appreciative of her presence.

I never thought Spottedrose would be able to walk with me outside of my dreams, Frostfeather thought, I should be happy to see her.

"Are you going to try and convince me that we should leave the forest? You should just tell Blizzardstar or Brokensong, I'm just a warrior," she insisted, feeling her anxiety creep back over her fur. His rejection still stung like the hottest bee sting. "He didn't want to listen to me anyways."

"No! You must convince them! Their lives depend on it," Spottedrose demanded. Her expression grew serious as she looked down on her daughter. "I know it will be hard. But time is running short. When the sun casts its shadow, your time for safety will have run out."

Frostfeather tried to gather her thoughts. So much depended on her, what could she possibly do to convince her Clan to leave the forest? With Blizzardstar in denial, it seemed impossible. She pushed these thoughts to the back of her mind. After a moment, she noticed that Spottedrose had faded into the wind.

She looked around frantically. She hoped she could have just spotted her one more time. She's gone, she thought wretchedly. I didn't even get to tell her that I miss her... why must she bring me such terrible omens?

It would be pointless to try and hunt now. Not with that strange encounter still so fresh in her memory. She made slow progress back to camp. She didn't return until shortly before sunhigh. She hadn't realized how much time had passed while she wandered the forest. Blizzardstar approached quickly as she padded through the entrance.

"I'm not here to argue. Just come with me back to my den. We need to talk," Blizzardstar huffed. He didn't allow Frostfeather any time to speak before he turned and bounded back to his den. She sighed and followed. She half expected to be scolded for her leaving camp so early. As she slid into the safety of the hollow tree behind her father, he turned to look at her seriously.

"I need you to tell me the truth," he began, "did you really share dreams with Brokensong?" She could feel her tail as it twitched behind her. This is what she was waiting for! Now she could tell him about her strange dreams...

"Yes, we had the same dream that night. But that's not the only strange dream I've had lately," she murmured. Reluctantly, she told Blizzardstar about her first dream, with Spottedrose and Lilybloom. She carried on to explain her vision in the forest earlier that morning. They all carried the ominous warning, that the forest was no longer safe.

At the mention of her mother, Blizzardstar's expression went blank. After she retold the events of that morning, the silence lengthened between them.

"Blizzardstar?" she mewed, desperation pricked in her voice. She needed him to tell her what they should do.

"Maybe you should just take it a bit easy on patrols the next couple of days," he decided finally after a lengthy pause. "Surely you've been stressing over your warrior obligations."

Frostfeather couldn't believe her ears, that he would push her way again, like a kit with a nightmare! "But, Blizzardstar!" she gasped, her eyes wide as he started to usher her back out of the den.

"There's no need to worry," he meowed hastily as they padded back out into the camp, "if something bad were about to happen, StarClan would tell me."

I'm not so sure, she thought regretfully as she let him herd her back towards the warrior's den. If they were going to tell you, they would have done it already. "As your leader, I am commanding you to rest in camp for the next couple of days. I'm sure Wildflight and the other elder's would be happy for your company."

Without even a chance to respond, Blizzardstar turned and left her by herself at the entrance to the warrior's den. She stared after him as he receded back into the darkness of his den. She felt completely dumb founded. He had acted like he would finally take her seriously, only to push her away at the first mention of Spottedrose.

Oh, StarClan... why have you given me such an impossible task?