Chapter Fifteen {Edited}

The badger den was certainly big enough for everyone to sleep comfortably inside. Meadowshine and Lionpaw curled together near the back wall, while Dewdrop still clung close to Smallfire's huddled form.

Frostfeather watched Meadowshine as she wound tighter around Lionpaw, tortoiseshell and sandy orange fur merged into a cozy blanket.

Brokensong sat just a short way down from the den entrance. She stared out the hole, her one good eye transfixed on the night sky above them. Her brown and black pelt rippled as she raised her muzzle to take a sniff of the chilly air. "I think I can smell them," she murmured. Frostfeather got to her paws and padded over just as Elkleap appeared at the mouth of the den. His mouth was crammed with prey.

The white and black form of Sootsplash came next. He carried the plump body of a squirrel, which he immediately carried towards his mate and kit. Lastly came Pineheart, his head bent down from the weight of the rabbit he carried.

"The prey is so plentiful here," Elkleap rejoiced as he dropped his freshkill in the center of the den. Brokensong stood at his shoulder and looked down at the pile with famished eyes.

"We haven't eaten this well since before we left camp," she recalled, "well done, all of you."

Frostfeather grabbed a mouse from the pile and joined Pineheart near the side of the burrow. She could feel the earthen wall press against her flank as she made herself comfortable. To Pineheart's other side lay Smallfire. Dewdrop had grabbed him a mouse, but he only grumbled and curled tighter as he fell back to sleep.

"We need to do something for Smallfire," Dewdrop fretted as the others began to tuck into their meals, "he's only going to get worse and slow us down."

Brokensong snorted. "I tried to treat him before we left the territory but he didn't want my help. He's going to have to wait until we find somewhere that grows the herbs we need." Frostfeather hadn't thought she would still be prickly over that ordeal.

Dewdrop dipped her head in submission to the other medicine cat. "That seems wise..." she agreed.

As the moon ascended further into the star speckled sky, the den filled with the soft snores of the Clan cats as they fell asleep. Elkleap lay close to the entrance, one ear alert for any signs of trouble.

Frostfeather let her tired gaze rest on every one of her Clanmates as she snuggled closer to Pineheart's side. Hopefully we find a home soon, she thought as she closed her eyes and drifted into slumber.

~~~~~~~~~~

Frostfeather felt the sting of the chilly, night air as it whipped against her muzzle. How is there wind down here, underground, she wondered as she blinked open her eyes.

To her amazement, she was not curled up in the den next to her brother. She was in the field, the thick grasses waved around her as they were buffeted by the breeze. The sky was still dark, spattered with stars that pulsated above her. She glanced down at her paws and noticed that the ground was littered with star studded paw prints. She took a deep breath and detected the scent of other cats nearby.

She bounced forward and followed the shimmering tracks until she practically crashed into the back of a cat. She couldn't believe her eyes, it was Wildflight! Her dusty, brown fur shined with starlight. All of her old age had disappeared to be replaced with taught muscles and a confident stride.

Ahead of her, a massive sea of pelts traveled towards the horzon. She could pick up so many scents; Blizzardstar, Nightvolt, Redfern, Shimmerpaw, Sweetmind... and even ten fold more that she could not even begin to name.

"We have to keep moving!" an achingly familiar voice called from somewhere just ahead, "we must keep going, to the sea!"

She squinted hard to try and make out the white fur of her father. "Blizzardstar! Blizzardstar, I'm here!" she yowled, but no one acknowledged her desperate cries. She started to push through the crowd, but the StarClan spirits did not stir at her touch.

"When do you think we will arrive?" A gray pelted she-cat blurted. Frostfeather picked up her pace until she ran along beside the sparkly pelted cat. Her breath puffed out of her open jaws in shallow gasps. She wasn't sure how long she could keep up.

"I am not sure, Quickwater. But we need to be sure that we get there as fast as possible. Wherever IceClan are to settle, StarClan will be waiting for them," Blizzardstar replied.

Frostfeather felt a vibrant warmth spread over her fur. She had not realized StarClan were so vast, there were so many cats...

Finally, she rested her eyes on the ivory pelt of Blizzardstar. She wanted to run to him, to bury her muzzle in his soft fur. But she didn't want to take the risk, the illusion could break at any moment. She knew she was meant to see this vision.

Next to Blizzardstar padded the silky calico she-cat, Spottedrose. Their tails twined like ivy, their pelts brushed as they walked side-by-side.

Wherever IceClan goes, StarClan will be waiting for us...

"We will continue to follow the setting sun. Eventually, we will find our new home!" a white and gray spotted she-cat called out to the others.

Yowls and cheers erupted as the StarClan cats continued on their invisible path towards the sunset. Frostfeather let out her own joyous howl as the pelts of the StarClan cats pressed all around her.

But as soon as she blinked, the vision snapped from her view and she was once more in the musty badger den with her companions.