Chapter Twenty-One

Frostfeather felt her whiskers quivering nervously as they padded, blind, through the dense shadows. She bumped into the cat ahead of her, from the scent it had to be Meadowshine.

"Sorry," she mumbled, feeling Pineheart's nose brush her tail from behind.

A flash of light shone at the end of the alleyway. Frostfeather could see Elkleap's broad shoulders as he stepped into the open. Loud, happy voices erupted as the Clan cats walked into view. Frostfeather gazed about in wonder at all the cats gathered around her.

I haven't seen so many cats since we were back in IceClan territory, she marveled. On all sides of the open space, tall rock walls stretched into the sky. Boxes and shining garbage bins lined the walls, some stacked so precariously they seemed they would topple at any moment.

The ground was scuffed from countless moons of activity. The air was rich with the smell of the Dockside Cats.

"My friends, come meet our new guests!" The muscular brown tabby called out loudly as he led the Clan cats into the open.

Frostfeather stepped back as elated, friendly faces pressed forward to greet her. "This group of wandering cats challenged Cassius! They saved Drizzle and Blue from the likes of his tyranny," he yowled, "let us feast in their honor!"

Stone had reappeared at her side, carrying a fish the likes she had never seen. "Thank you for saving our group mates," she murmured as she set the fish down at Frostfeather's paws.

More cats stepped forward, each carrying a massive specimen of prey. Elkleap turned to the brown tabby, a purr throbbing in his chest.

"You will never know how much we appreciate this. We've been traveling so long. It feels like days since we've had full bellies," he meowed warmly.

"The pleasure is all mine," the tom purred, "for as long as I may breathe, you are welcome on these docks."

The Clan cats started to tuck into their prey, their tails swishing happily behind them. Lionpaw seemed thrilled to have an entire pigeon to herself. While Brokensong slowly picked over her plump pheasant.

"My name is Cairn," the brown tabby introduced himself. Elkleap licked the last scraps of rabbit from his jaws, taking a breath before responding.

"My name is Elkleap. We are all IceClan warriors," he began. He nodded towards Brokensong, who looked up with her good eye shining. "This is our medicine cat, Brokensong," he meowed.

"We do not know what warriors or medicine cats are," Cairn mumbled.

A dazzling orange she-cat stepped forward from the other Dockside cats. She flicked her tail at Cairn's shoulder, her whiskers twitching mischievously.

"I'm sure you could guess that their medicine cat is a healer of sorts," she teased, "you're not that daft."

He snorted, narrowing his yellow eyes, "of course I knew that!" he grumbled.

The fiery she-cat stepped closer to Elkleap, her eyes burning like hot coals. "My name is Sun'ka," she purred.

Frostfeather waited for Elkleap to continue introducing the others, but he seemed frozen with shock. His voice stuttered as he attempted to continue, "th.... this is Lionpaw," he meowed, pointing his tail towards the russet apprentice. "She is the daughter of Sootsplash and Meadowshine."

Sootsplash dipped his head while Meadowshine waved her tail in greeting. "You all have such fascinating names," Cairn commented kindly.

Blue stumbled forward, bumping into Sun'ka. She licked the top of his head, bending her paw forward to wrap around him. "Blue is my younger brother," she mewed, "it seems like he's always getting into trouble."