Let Loose the Horse of Hell

#TijuanaTuesday

Perceval felt his unease grow as the path to Hillcrest opened. The vision still swam across his mind in stilted images that made him shiver. Especially whatever it was that had covered the sun in dark tendrils. 

The carriage rocked unsteadily as his undead army pulled him along. Living animals, for some reason, couldn't survive around him and he'd had to find alternate means of transport. Thankfully his undead army couldn't complain.

He'd once attempted to raise an undead horse to be his steed. Images of crowds dispersing at the sight of his skeletal horse convincing him it would grow his esteem. Only that hadn't occurred.

Instead the decayed, moldy creature had crawled from its shallow grave in wisps of putrid smoke. Flaming eyes staring him down as its rotting ebony bulk rose above him. Hooves of skin and iron raised. He could see the bone of its chest and pale larvae, as thick as his fingers, crawling along its rotten skin.

It did not neigh or whinny. It brayed, a guttural sound like thunder. Perceval had grinned like a child. It was better than he'd thought. It was perfect.

That was until it attempted to dislodge his head from his shoulders. Try as he might, he was unable to control the creature. In the end, he disenchanted the creature and let it slumber.

Perhaps one day.