chapter two

a foggy brain and an aching body is all ian feels when he begins to gain conscious back again since yesterday.

he deeply inhales, deeply exhales.

he opens his dry eyes and looks around. he's surrounded by a million posters on a wall, and a messy room with dirty clothes scattered everywhere.

"hello?" ian calls out into the quiet air, only to hear his own echo call back to him in return.

he drops his head onto the pillow that sat under him and he closed his eyes, trying to remember the last memory in his head.

he remembered going outside to get some air after lunch, and he remembered the group of boys ganging up on him, but he didn't remember the face of who saved him.

he tightens his eyes hard as he feels a sharp pain in his gut. he inhales and holds his breath for a while before letting go.

mandy bursts through the door with a pack of ice and aspirin.

"look at you! you look disgusting!" mandy teases with a smile. she sits on the edge of the bed where ian lays and looks at him with pity.

"you poor guy," she says with a pout.

she gives him the aspirin to take, and slowly puts the ice pack on one of the bruises on ian's face, and frowns once she sees him wince.

"thanks, mandy."

ian sighs and furrows his brow.
"where am i? who saved me?"

mandy laughs as if ian told some joke she'd never heard before, and stops when she realizes he isn't joking.

"erh, mickey saved you. you're in his room!"

"who's mickey?" he asks a bit frightened.

"my brother, silly!" mandy hands him the glass of water she had for his aspirin.

mandy gets up and smiles. "i can take you home later, but i don't think your family will be too pleased to see their brother covered in blood." she leaves and shuts the door quietly.

ian throws his head back on the pillow once more and smells the pillowcase. it smelled of cigarettes and men's deodorant; it was a strange smell, but he sort of liked it.

he falls back asleep with the same scent stuck on him.

***

ian wakes up to the smell of coffee and the sound of yelling in another room. he decides he should go and investigate, and gets up from his spot on the bed.

he opens the bedroom quietly, and peaks through to see the living room.

mandy is yelling at some guy about the fact ian is staying at their house for a while, but they both stop arguing once they see ian in the hallway.

"good morning," mandy grins as if nothing happened. "uh, heh, this is mickey!"

ian steps out and stands in front of them.

mickey, slightly shorter than ian, has black spikey hair and a smug look on his face as if he hated the world and every aspect of it.

his eyes seem so violent and harsh, which practically send a chill down ian's spine.

"erh, hey thanks for helping me, man," ian says to mickey hesitantly.

mickey rolls his eyes and laughs.
"what the fuck? you can't stay in my fucking room. just because i saved your weak ass when you got fucked up doesn't mean we're a shelter."