chapter eight

a wet paper ball hits the back of ian's neck, which he tries to ignore. he continues to block out all the giggling in the back of the class from his head, and pay attention to the lesson.

ian raises a hand and takes a deep uncomfortable breath. "can i go to the bathroom?" he asks the teacher anxiously.

he feels the class look at him, judging him, laughing at him and how anxious he was.

"no, you may not. calm down and take my notes, gallagher," the old teacher says raising her voice.

ian tenses up a shoulder and flinches at the hand he feels on his thigh. he looks down to see a nicely manicured set of nails tease him and looks up to see a worried expression on gianna.

"hey, what's wrong, boo?" she whispers.

ian internally flinches at the sound of gianna flirting with him. he hated every second of the day where he had to pretend to like gianna. it was to the point where even the sound of her name made him nauseated.

ian shakes his head and faces the front of the class.

he feels gianna stare at him for a few ore seconds until finally turning to the teacher.

another ball hits the back of ian's neck and he feels himself grow hot. he turns around and keeps his voice calm. "can you please stop being idiots?" he asks politely.

the group of boys in the back burst into a storm of laughter and ian gets up, grabs his backpack and heads for the door.

"and where do you think youre going, son?" the teacher asks. "if you leave this room, youre going to face serious punishment."

ian rolls his eyes and slams the door on his way out.

a few kids in the hallway stop their small chattering and look in ian's direction. his face was bright pink and his eyes were watery and red, which made him look high. his hair was a mess, and his lips were chewed on, making him look extremely uncomfortable.

he clutches onto his bag, and storms out of the school, headed towards the bleachers outside.

he spots mickey and heads towards him, ducking under to make his way.

"hey red," he says getting up.

ian stares at mickey and punches his face in anger. mickey clutches onto his nose and tilts his head down in shock.

"what the fuck, ian?" he yells

tears flow out of ian's eyes as he punches him again, straight to the gut. however, this time mickey doesn't stay put. he brings both his fists to ian's face, punching him repeatedly, over and over, as ian falls to the ground.

mickey sits on top of ian, pinning him down on the grass.

"get the fuck off of me!" ian yells, squirming under the weight of mickey.

ian wipes his tears with his bloody sleeve and accidentally smears it on his face. mickey stares at ian as if he was some monster.

ian stared back, in fear.
he hated the look people gave him. it was the look of pure sanity, pure confusion, that made him go insane. the way the teacher looked at him like he was an idiot. the way the students in the hallway looked at him as if he would attack them any minute.

the way mickey looked at him as if he was out of his mind.

"i'm not fucking crazy," ian screams at mickey.

mickey looks all around them, making sure nobody is hearing or witnessing all thats happening. "shut up, somebody will hear you," he warns quietly.

ian begins to scream again, as mickey covers ian's mouth with both of his hands hopelessly.

once ian calms down, mickey begins to release his hands from his mouth. the two boys stare at each other. ian stares solemnly, as mickey stares in fear of ian himself.

"why don't you like it when i touch you?" ian whispers.

mickey rolls his eyes, tired of the same argument every time. "why does it fucking matter? is this why you went fucking ballistic on me?" he asks.

ian looks away and sighs to himself.
"i think i have feelings for you, and you just confuse me." his voice shakes as he looks back at mickey.

mickey scoffs and laughs in ian's face.
"how the hell can i fucking confuse you, man! i've told you several times im not a faggot, you worthless piece of shit."

mickey gets up, lights a cigarette, and walks away in annoyance.
but ian stays on the ground. an hour or two pass by with him on the ground, not thinking, not crying, just numb.

a week passes, and it seems as if lots of things have changed. he holds gianna's hand in the hallway and brings her into a hug, whispering sweet nothings in her ear. he feels gianna smile against his cheek, and they walk to lunch together.

of course ian didn't have feelings for her, that would be the craziest idea ever. however, pretending he loved her would definitely draw some attention from someone who was on his mind.