Five

Narrative

"Glad that's over with," Millie says to Finn, they're both in line to get lunch.

"Ha, same." Finn replies, grabbing his lunch and entering his lunch pin in the computer.

"See ya in art class," He says.

"See ya," Millie replies, although she secretly hopes she doesn't have to talk to him.

Millie walks over to her normal spot in the cafeteria and sits next to Sadie at their lunch table.

"Millie!"

"Sadie!"

"Noah!" Noah says as he pops up from behind them. They laugh.

"Hey Noah, sit down with us," Sadie says.

Noah sits down next to Sadie and grabs the sandwich from his tray, taking a bite.

"So how did your performance for theatre class go?" Sadie asks, turning towards Millie.

"It went pretty good, Mr. Anderson really liked it."

"Nice."

*art class*

"Alright class," Mrs. Trelawny starts with her misty accent. Totally not inspired by a Harry Potter Professor... ;)

"Today I will finally be giving you your sketch books, you'll be using these for the rest of the year."

Millie smiles, she's excited about having her own sketch book.

"Take one and pass it down," Mrs. Trelawny says while placing a stack of books in the front row seats.

"They're all the same so just take one."

Someone raises their hand, "What if they get mixed up?"

"Well, that's why each of you are going to decorate the cover however you like, appropriately though," Mrs. Trelawny responds sweetly.

"Your first official assignment is decorating your sketch book, and making it your own. Decorate it how you like, but it needs to relate to you."

Millie nods while grabbing a book and handing one to the person behind her.

"Okay supplies are up here, so help yourselves," Mrs. Trelawny says, she's a very outgoing and caring teacher. She wants each student to have freedom over their art, Millie really admires that about her.

Millie walks up to the front table to grabs some things, when Finn walks up next to her, she rolls her eyes.

"I don't know what to put on my notebook," he says.

Why are you telling me this? Millie thinks.

Millie grabs some paint-markers and some stickers.

Finn continues, "Could you give me some suggestions?"

"Well," Millie says while starting to walk back to her desk, "I can't do that because 1, this is for a grade and you have to do the work yourself and 2, the cover of your notebook has to relate to you."

Damn, Finn thinks, shot down. Finn raises his arms in the air to surrender, wearing a goofy smile.

Millie smirks and sits back at her seat, what an idiot, but it's kind of cute that he'd ask me for help. Kind of...

*time skip*

"Alright is everyone almost done with their notebooks?"

There are mumbles and head nods from the students.

"Psst," Finn whispers. Millie turns to her right.

"What Finn?"

"What did you put on yours?" He asks.

Millie rolls her eyes and shows him her notebook. It wasn't at all like something he expected.

The cover was still black, like the original sketch books, it had a thick white stripe towards the bottom, and above that it said in white letters, "Simple is a complexity in itself." The top right corner had a white music note on it, and that was it.

"Who said that?" Finn asked, thinking it was a famous quote or something.

"Me," Millie replies, setting her notebook down.

Finn raises his eyebrows, surprised. Wow, he thinks.

"Wow, that's very deep. A statement that can be read in many different ways, but... wow," Finn mumbles.

Millie just stares, not knowing what to say. I'm surprised he's smart enough to sort of conjure up a sentence like that.

"Uh, thanks."

"What about yours?" She asks, actually curious.

"Oh, right," Finn says and shows her his notebook. Still black as well, with a red, broken heart in the center, and in the corner in tiny white letters it says, "Not a breaker as much as I'm breaking."

Millie didn't bother reading the words in the corner, the words were super tiny. She saw the broken heart in the center and scoffed, and kind of laughed.

"Fitting," she said under her breath.

"Okay, the bell is about to ring, I will grade these tomorrow!" Mrs. Trelawny says while cleaning her glasses.

To be continued...
Sorry this was kind of a boring filler chapter, but the words on their notebooks are important.