Chapter 21

It was already 8:45 and my brothers and we were just patiently waiting for Shawn to call us downstairs. Hunter was playing with his new toys and Jacob was watching whatever was on Tv. I stood up, fixing a red velvet dress that Shawn had got me, when I suddenly heard my phone start to ring. I picked up the phone to see an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Nicole it's Mike you need to come into work right now."

"Mike its New Years Eve, my day off."

"It is either you come in now or you're fired for good." He said and I took a deep breath in.

"Okay I'll be there in 15 minutes." I quickly went up to my room to change into my uniform. I grabbed my phone and pressed on Shawn's contact. After a few rings he finally picked up.

"Hey babe what's up."

"Hey I have bad news."

"What happened? Are you ok?"

"I'm fine I just got called into work and I can't say no or else he'll fire me. I am so sorry Shawn."

"It's fine, I understand. Maybe I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I'll text you babe. I have to go."

"Okay, bye." He said and I hung up. I put my hair up in a ponytail as I made my way back downstairs to see both of my brothers still on the couch.

"I'm sorry guys Mike called me in , I have to go to work. I'll make it up to you guys, order some pizza." I said before walking out of the door. For once I would like a normal life like the rest of the others.
-
I have been working for hours and I was running around everywhere trying to get everyone's order. It was mostly just a bunch of drunk or high people who were coming in and out of the diner with confetti and New Years props.

"Hey lady can I get a refill?" Someone yelled out and I nodded. I quickly grabbed a tray, filling it with cups and later filling the cups with waters and sodas. I made my way to every table, placing the drinks down and going around to take more and more orders. While another worker, Veronica, and I worked our asses off Mike was sitting on his ass with a bear in his hand along with his friends. I rolled my eyes and went over to the cash register to place money and grabbed some bills. Finally, the diner became less crowded and people began to leave. I looked at the clock to see it was 11:58 already. I should be at Shawn's house right now, eating dinner, having conversations with his family, and being next to Shawn. I sighed and cleaned up the plates that were on the counter, throwing them in the sink. I put my notepad back in the pocket of my apron and walked out of the kitchen.

"Hey diner girl." Someone said and I looked up to see Shawn and his family behind him.

"Hey pop star, what are you doing here?" I smiled and went over to hug him.

"No one should be alone on New Years Eve." He smiled and Hunter came up to me to hug me.

"You brought my brothers?"

"Like I said, you shouldn't be alone."

"Thank you Shawn Mendes."

"You are very welcome Nicole Ortega." He said and I kissed his cheek. I quickly said hello to his family and I heard the cheers of many people.

"3,2,1! Happy New Year!" Everyone cheered in unison and couples kissed each other. I grabbed both of my brothers and hugged them tightly, kissing them on the forehead.

"Happy New Year guys." I said and the hugged me back.

"Where's my kiss?" Shawn said and I turned around.

"How could I forget?" I said and he placed a kiss on my lips. "Happy New Year babe."

"Happy New Year indeed." He went over to his family and they all sat down in the empty booths. I asked everyone what they wanted to eat and I placed the orders.

"Nicole, you can leave in an hour." Mike said and I nodded. I tended to the rest of the tables and grabbed Shawn's family's orders. The hour went by quick and his family soon began to leave until it was only him, his parents, his sisters, my brothers and I. I put my apron and notepad behind the counter before grabbing my purse.

"Thank you so much Shawn, this meant a lot to me and my brothers."

"Anytime." He smiled and I hugged him.

"We should get going Shawn." His mom came up behind him.

"Is it okay if I go with Nicole? I leave pretty soon and I want to spend some time with her." He said and I smiled.

"Sure honey, just be careful." She said and they all chuckled. I smiled as I shook my head and Shawn and I walked hand in hand outside my car after saying goodbye to his family. We all got into my car and drove to the apartment. Shawn held my hand the entire way and I just drove down the dark road filled with snow. We had finally arrived and we all got out of the car except for Hunter who had fallen asleep.

"Let me get Hunter." I said and Shawn stopped me.

"I'll carry him, don't worry." He smiled and reached into the car to carry Hunter. We all slowly went upstairs and once we got to my apartment Shawn went up to my brother's room to put Hunter to bed. I hung my coat on the coat hanger and went up to my room to change. As I walked to my room Shawn came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist. I smiled and we walked into my room. I grabbed a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt as Shawn laid down on my bed. I went into my bathroom and quickly changed into my warm clothes. I threw my uniform on the chair as I sat down on the bed and Shawn pulled me towards him.

"Hello there." I turned over my shoulder and met with Shawn's face.

"Hi." He smiled and hugged me tighter. We both laid down on my bed, the only light in the room was the light of the moon shining through my window.

"You know you can get comfortable and everything, mi casa es su casa." I said and we both chuckled. He sat up to take off his shoes and his shirt. He laid back down and he wrapped his arm around me, placing his head on my shoulder. I placed my right hand on his head and started to run my fingers through his hair.

"I leave in two days." He sighed.

"I'm going to miss you."

"Me too." He hugged me tighter.

"We should get some sleep and we can hang out all day tomorrow."

"You're right." He said and we both got under the warm covers. Once again he wrapped his arms around me and I kissed his lips. I slowly began to fall asleep, but I could still hear Shawn humming.

"You are perfect Nicole." He whispered and I smiled as I soon fell asleep in his arms.