Chapter 7

Izzy's POV

Everyone in base went quiet. Ratchet was staring at Optimus while Optimus stared at the screen of the computer. I tensed on Ratchet's shoulderplate, waiting for the first move. No one spoke.

Optimus hesitated for a moment too long for me to sit still. I squirmed, Ratchet flashing me an irritated sideways glance. Finally, the Autobot leader spoke. "Accept the message," he said. Amanda's eyes widened, and she whispered something frantic into Optimus' ear...if that's what you even call it.

Optimus shook his helm. Ratchet pressed a button on his keypad and the screen was filled with Megatron's faceplate. The 'Con leader grinned, but we all knew what was hidden underneath that smile. And the weird scars he has.

Optimus jumped straight in. "What do you want, Megatron?" He asked curtly. Megatron smiled. "You see, Optimus? You're bothered. And I know why." He paused as he let this sink in. Then he said, "The girls, Optimus. We know you have them." And with that, I kinda lost my temper. I rarely did get angry, but this guy? He crossed the line.

"What do you want, huh? Just some small, useless girls?" I snapped, my face turning beet red. Megatron fixed his optics on me. "No, small fleshling, you are not useless. You have powers that can come in handy." Now I would've snorted at this, but instead I took a deep breath. Calm yourself down. It won't help to have a meltdown, I thought to myself. Then I straightened up the best I could without falling off Ratchet's shoulderplate.

"How are we-" I waved my hand toward Amanda, who was frozen with shock and fear. "-useful to giant alien robots like you?" Ok, so that last part I knew why. But maybe I could find out how Megatron found out about our gifts. The 'Con leader shot me a frustrated sideways look. Apparently, he knew what I was up to.

"Your gifts," he said simply. "My medic-Knockout-" That name sounded familiar. "-picked up strong ratings of your little gifts while trying to find another energon mine. And," he added, turning his helm to Optimus. The Autobot leader was gazing-well, more like glaring-at me. "I would like the girls," Megatron finished. Optimus snorted. "Megatron, you really are one bucket head to think if I'm going to hand my charge and Izzy over." Me, Amanda, and the others couldn't help but snicker.

Megatron's evil smirk wavered. "There will be consequences," he growled. "Like what?" Optimus shoot back, though I could tell he was getting curious. Megatron shifted, glad he had everyone's full attention now. "Like your human pets," he said. "We know where they live now, thanks to Knockout. If you don't hand the girls over, we will take the others. Your choice, Optimus." And with that, Megatron ended the call.

I was so angry my fists were actually clenched and shaking. "That little-" I started when Ratchet cut me off. "What were you thinking?" He snapped, shifting his shoulderplate so that I slid down his arm and into his servo. I regained my balance and crossed my arms, glaring at him. "Someone had to do the questioning," I said with a tiny shrug. I didn't like fighting, and I turned my head away from Ratchet's angry look.

"You knew that was foolish," he said, narrowing his optics. "Optimus was suppose to do the speaking, not you." And whit that he raised his servo up to the railing and I hopped off. I took a deep breath and turned to apologize, but Ratchet was already speaking with Optimus. I guess I'll have to talk to him later. Optimus placed Amanda next to me, then he and my guardian retreated to the other side of the base to talk quietly.

Amanda was chewing her lip. I glanced at her and laid my hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry so much, Amanda," I said softly. "We'll figure this out." Amanda turned away, tears sprouting in her eyes. "We should've never met the Autobots," she whispered. "Now we both put them in danger." I wanted to tell her that there was another girl we haven't gotten to yet, but I bit my tongue on that one. I would tell her later.

"Amanda," I said, taking her shoulder and shaking her gently. She looked up at me. "No matter what, we're going to get through this together, human and bot." Amanda shook her head and raised one hand to wipe her tears away. "But what if we can't?" She asked, her voice lowered to just a mutter that only I could make out. And to be honest, I had nothing else to say after that. Because I was thinking the same thing.

~Later~

Me and Amanda hung out on the couch, watching TV. We said nothing, but I knew we were both comforted by each other just by being there. Raf was typing quietly on his computer, and even Miko had fallen silent. The base was still and hushed. Nobody made any noise except for the TV.

I was just about to channel surf to get my mind off things when I heard movement from the other side of base. I turned my head to see Ratchet and Optimus walking over to us. Bulkhead, Bumblebee, and Arcee watched them from the side. They had been huddled up against each other, talking in hushed tones and shooting anxious glances at us.

"Izzy," Ratchet said when he reached me. "There's something you should know...about your, uh, gift..." Ratchet glanced at Optimus like he was not agreeing about what he was going to do. Curious, he has my full attention. "What is it?" I asked. Ratchet made a grunting noise and said, "Well, I mean...it doesn't really...ok, this about to get confusing." I nodded.

Ratchet gestured to my tool belt. "Take your wrench," he ordered me. Confused, I unbuckled my tool from my belt and held up wrench so he could see it. I was even more flustered when he said, "Now, with one hand, hold the wrench in the middle." I did as he was told and and held the wrench in the middle with one hand. I turned it sideways, uneasy.

Ratchet took a deep breath and moved closer to me. "See this?" He said. He gestured to the wrench. "Uhh...yea, it's a wrench," I said warily. Ratchet snorted. "Yea, but look what's on the wrench," he snapped. I held the wrench up close to my face and moved my index finger. There, in the middle, was an imprinted Autobot symbol. I gasped and gazed at it in shock. "Ratchet..." I started she he cut me off. "Izzy," he said. "I want you to be careful with this." I glanced at him, too stunned to speak. Slowly, with a digit, Ratchet pressed my fingers gently and stepped back.

I heard the familiar sound of transforming and suddenly screamed, dropping the wrench. Or dropping a one-foot-tall sword. The word pounded in my head. A sword. My wrench just transformed into a sword!!

I gasped at it, slowly backing away. "What-why-how...," I sputtered. Ratchet shook his helm and ordered me to pick up the sword. I grabbed it by the end with shaky hands, fearful about what would occur next. But nothing happen. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my friends' expressions. Amanda was pale with eyes as big as moons. The others had similar faces.

I looked up at Ratchet. Behind him, the Autobots came over to see what the problem was and then backed away from me. Puzzled, I turned to Ratchet. "I think it's time for some explaining," I said. At least I managed to keep my voice steady. Ratchet sighed. "Don't tell your family members about what I'm going to say. This is a secret," he said. I gave him a small nod.

But before he could say anything else, the elevator slowly came down. My confusion drifted away as it turned into shock when two adults stepped out, a familiar man and woman.

"Mom...Dad?" I sputtered, my mouth dropping open.