Prologue

Part One – Ellie

PROLOGUE

    Walking through town is so annoying.

    Being the last female were-wolf on planet earth has its downs. Number 1: I have to have lots of bodyguards (aka my older brothers, Luke, the twins – Ethan and Murphy – Lewis, Daniel and Jack) just to go my friends’ houses, more for further distances. Number 2: I get extra attention at home, in tribe meetings and just about everywhere else I go (we have were-wolves everywhere, not just ‘cause of me, though I am a major contributor) Number 3: I had to withdraw from school (we couldn’t risk all those human lives if a vampire invaded) so I have not many friends, even though I’m back in school because the police got involved when they found out that I wasn’t being home-schooled. Number 4: Every mealtime my dad lectures me about being not careful with my acquaintances. And last of all, the reason for those tiny problems is Number 5: Every vampiric being, wants to be the one to diminish our females, so they’re basically all trying to kill me. Great.

    I don’t know why they want to kill our females, it’s not like we can’t reproduce without females. We actually can reproduce with humans, but it is inconvenient, telling humans about us is bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. Bad. You get the picture. We don’t tell humans about us unless we absolutely have to. In this case, we need to reproduce. Yes we’ve got me, but it’s not like I’m legally allowed to even have sex. I mean I’m 14, 2 years to go. And yes we have the female members of the tribe the semi-were-wolves and humans, but they don’t always pass the gene on, and they’re all my age.

    Welcome to hell.

    Also known as Meanwood, Leeds.