Chapter Two: Gale Hawthorne

Chapter Two:

Gale's POV

They'll be no sunlight

If I lose you baby

They'll be no clear skies

If I lose you baby

Just like the clouds

My eyes will do the same

If you walk away, everyday it will rain

Bruno Mars, "It Will Rain"

The glasses in my hands dropped as I walked around the corner. Not even because I had dropped them... Because I had held them so tightly that they had popped in the pressure of my hands.

Cyra was getting... MARRIED?!

I screamed over and over inside of my head. It did explain some things, though... The late night phone calls, the silent glances in my direction whenever she walked past me.

Cyra and I shared a room. I always slept on the floor, though. She was scared. She woke up every night, screaming about the same nightmare that had been happening over and over for weeks. Months even.

President Frost telling her it was time to die.... That she had no time left and that it was time for her to leave. Forever. Then it would flashback to District Four, watching the explosion again, and again.... Seeing her parents lying dead on the ground.

Lately though, whenever the time of night usually rolled around when the nightmare would come, Cyra would just sit silently, her eyes clouded with tears. I always asked her what was wrong, but there was never a response. Just crying, or screaming... And some times she shook so violently, I feared she was dying.

Even when we were not on the train, I would sneak off to where she was staying in District Four. The Capitol had offered her housing out there, but she had refused. She stayed in her old house, even though it had been burned down, with only a few walls still standing up.

>> Flashback

"Cyra, you have to leave here..." I always told her. "It isn't safe, or proper living conditions."

Cyra would look up at me, her face pale and stained with tears. "Where else do I go, Gale? I have nowhere else....."

I sighed, and lightly pushed my foot on the rubble that loomed across the floor. "I'm here.... I'll stay here for you."

Cyra smiled at me, and stood up from her fertile position on the floor. She was as thin as ever, and she had grown a bit taller from when she was in the arena.

"I want you... To meet somebody," she whispered and took my hand as we walked outside. We headed down a path and into the District Four woods. In there, she pointed at four large rocks in the ground.

In the rocks, names were carved.

Orion Mark Merison

Eudora Lace Merison

Jyra Orion Merison

Lyra Daphne Merison

Cyra glanced down at the stones, and kneeled. I did the same, and put my arm on her shoulder. Cyra closed her eyes, and tears dibbled down her face.