Chapter Thirteen: Alia Fletson

Chapter Thirteen:

Alia's POV

You could be the king, but watch the queen conquer

Nicki Minaj, "Monster"

I had never hated anyone as much as I hated Shawn Wilson. He was everything I despised in a person: abusive, disrespectful, selfish... do I need to go on? Oh, and he thought it would be a good idea to get a sixteen-year-old pregnant.

No words could explain how much I pitied Cyra. She was young and innocent and had so much to give... but the Capitol ruined all of that by forcing her to marry some monster named Shawn Chasum Wilson.

And as far as Gale... well, what could I possibly do to help him? He was just another victim in this gimmick of a marriage. The girl he loved had been taken away from him, and he couldn't do anything to stop it. Yes, deep down, I know that everything will be set right once and for all between the two of them, but for right now, Shawn and his equally horrible grandfather called the shots in their lives.

And Shawn...? Well, he'll be dead once he gets in that arena. If there's still any justice in this world, maybe Gale will be the one to kill him. If not, he'll die some other way. What comes around goes around, and Shawn's next.

Just as soon I thought I was free of his unpleasant presence, he comes right towards us in a hurried manner.

"What do you want?" I snapped.

"An alliance," he states plainly.

Cato snorted. "And what use would you be to us...? All you can do is throw spears, which we can do... better, might I add."

"Because my grandfather is the President of Panem, so I suggest you do as I tell you. If you wish to remain his favorite tributes, then you better listen to me. I can convince him to set the mutations on you, Cato... and I know just how much you love  them..."

Cato grit his teeth together as he clenched his fists.

"Just you, huh? You're quite the loyal husband, aren't you, then? Not even thinking about poor Cyra's safety... wow..." I trailed off.

Shawn knit his eyebrows together. "Cyra's included."

Cato and I exchanged glances. We both knew that we couldn't get rid of Shawn. Whether we liked it or not, he'd be a part of our alliance... but that didn't mean we were going to protect him from harm, either...

"Fine. But don't think for one second that we won't kill you," Cato growled.

Shawn smirked. "I wouldn't expect anything more from a pair of monsters..."

With that, he pivoted on his heel and walked away from us and into the nearby elevator.

Monsters, huh? Well, if that's what he wanted... then I'll be the scariest monster he'll ever see in that arena.

"What was that all about?" a familiar voice said from behind us.

It was Damian Winters, our fellow Career from District Two, the best spear-thrower in the history of the Games.

"Shawn practically invited himself into our alliance," I replied.

Damian laughed. "I never liked that guy. He's got some problems, and that's coming from a 'heartless Career.'"

"You too, huh?"

"Oh, yeah. Besides our own Districts and the Capitol, we're universally hated. I must say, though, I've never seen the other Districts loathe a pair of Careers as much as the two of you."